On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
11 steps to a smooth career changePresentation Transcript
Jenni Proctor Career Clarity www.careerclarity.com.auwww.claritycareermanagement.com.au email@example.com
What’s changed? Job for life A range of jobs Permanent status Part time jobs Portfolio careers Specific skills Generic skills Qualification for life Life long learning Knowledge Ability to find and evaluate information One career path using Multiple careers using the same skill set. transferable skills Skill based technology Expectation of rapid technology uptake and intuitive learning
A career is not a destination………but a journey taken one step at a time.
1. Listen to your dreams What are you trying to achieve? What do you REALLY want to do? What’s stopping you? Are those barriers real or imagined?
Sack the BossNew job Become your own Boss Re-establish yourself Reinvent yourself Could be similar to past job or Complete change of life could be very different direction Will it give you the Challenges of self – fulfillment you are seeking? employment
2. Reality Check What really matters to you? What have you loved doing? What have you hated doing? What environments impact on your work? What MUST be considered? What’s really stopping you?
3. Research What is out there? Jobs that are being advertised Jobs that other people have Upcoming industries Government Sites www.myfuture.edu.au – The Facts www.workplace.gov.au
4. Be Smooth! SMOOTH transition What are the links? Same work, different context Same context, different work Different work, different context, same skills.
5. Product YOU Transferable skills Employability skills eg communication, teamwork, problem solving, technology skills Personal traits eg leadership, drive, energy, empathy Identify the gaps
6. Goal setting What are your long-term Career Change goals? What are your interim Career Change goals? Set SMART goals Specific Measureable Actionable Realistic Time-bound
7. What’s your plan? How can you develop the skills you need? Access your network Informational interviews Social media – Linked In
8. Take action Nothing happens until you do something about it! Tips for Action: SMART goals, clearly displayed, looked at daily Certainty Support Pain – What will your life be like in 5 years time if you FAIL to take action now?
9. Resilience Deal with the inevitable…… Setbacks Barriers Personal doubts Fear Do you need help through this part of the process?
10. Motivation and Mind Set How will you maintain your motivation? your positive mind set? your focus?
11. Celebrate! Celebrate each step when it has been completed Really celebrate your successful career transition
A helping hand Out of the frying pan into the fire……………..Ouch! New stage of life - What does that mean in terms of the work you are seeking? Clarify what you are seeking Professional help Counselling, coaching, practical help Qualified in Career Development Where to get help Career Development Association of Australia – www.cdaa.org.au Career Advice Line – 13 17 64
Career Clarity…….for the next stage Webinar series commencing April 14………….Free Any suggestions of specific topics? Workshop in Brisbane soon……I’ll email you with details and special price for people at this workshop. Put your card or email address into bowl to be in the draw for one hour FREE consultation.
Jenni Proctor - Career Clarity www.CareerClarity.com.auwww.ClarityCareerManagement.com.au jenni@career clarity.com.au