15. Why Should we care about Social Media?<br />?<br />
16. Reason #1<br />BECAUSE, 3 OUT OF 4 AMERICANS USE SOCIAL TECHNOLOGY.<br />Forrester, The Growth Of Social Technology Adoption, 2008<br />
17. Reason #2<br />BECAUSE, 2/3 OF THE GLOBAL INTERNET POPULATION<br />VISIT SOCIAL NETWORKS.<br />Nielsen, Global Faces & Networked Places, 2009<br />
18. Reason #3<br />BECAUSE, VISITING SOCIAL SITES IS NOW THE 4TH MOST<br />POPULAR ONLINE ACTIVITY—AHEAD OF PERSONAL EMAIL.<br />(68% - 64%)<br />Email Marketing and Email List Manager | Mail Chimp<br />Free email marketing service from Mail Chimp. Design, send, and track HTML email campaigns with our simple tools. Get a fully functional free account.<br />
19. Reason #4<br />BECAUSE, TIME SPENT ON SOCIAL NETWORKS<br />IS GROWING AT 3X THE OVERALL INTERNET<br />RATE, ACCOUNTING FOR ~10% OF ALL<br />INTERNET TIME.<br />Nielsen, Global Faces & Networked Places, 2009<br />
20. Reason #5<br />BECAUSE, SOCIAL MEDIA IS ALTERING<br />COMMUNICATIONS. BIG TIME.<br />
21. Reason #6<br />BECAUSE SOCIAL MEDIA IS LIKE<br />WORD OF MOUTH<br />ON STEROIDS.<br />
22. BECAUSE, SOCIAL MEDIA<br />IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH.<br />http://www.facebook.com<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZ0z5Fm-Ng<br />
23. So are YOU ready?<br />What Can NPA worldwide Do?<br />
24. Let’s begin with what we HAVE done<br />“NPA Central” – a community for NPA members<br />
25. resistance to social<br />media is futile.<br /><ul><li>Millions of people are</li></ul>creating content for<br />the social Web.<br /><ul><li>Our competitors</li></ul>may already be there.<br /><ul><li>Your customers have</li></ul>been there for a long<br />time.<br /><ul><li>If we aren’t out there,</li></ul>we ought to be.<br />
26. 90% of consumers are using social media but only 50% of B2B marketers are using social media<br />FACT:<br />SOCIAL MEDIA<br />PLAYTIME<br />IS OVER. <br />*Seehttp://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/0,7211,47665,00.html for more on that topic.<br />
27. create more utility<br />be bigger that what you seem<br />Offer talkable surprises (create insider moments)<br />answer latent but important questions<br />communicate through real stories and real people<br />amplify unique moments in time<br />calenderize your conversations<br />identify your company voices (show the real people)<br />curate content along with creating it<br />9 reasons to implement social media <br />
28. So what more can we do?<br /><ul><li>understand that social media is a process and not an event, it does take time.
29. a trade show is an event – dating is a process – events are easier to manage – processes build results for the long term.
30. time is needed to experiment and explore what works for us.
31. even more time is needed to interact and engage with our audience. this is the critical component.
32. the “build it and they will come” approach only works in the movies…social media is “build it, nurture it, engage them and they may come and stay.”
33. it’s not about who you know anymore. it’s about who can find you.</li></li></ul><li>So, can we predict the future?<br /><ul><li>it will all center around information…how to find it…how to manage it…and how to communicate it effectively.
34. it will be about one-to-one communication/exchange/marketing.
35. it will be a focus on the individual and solving their problems.
36. it will be about mobile technology. will the computer and cell phone be one unit? Mobile will be larger than desktop.
37. 2 foot = desktop, 1 foot = mobile, 10 foot = google TV
38. what about…web recording…instant interviews…audio and sound clips…image uploads…instant chat.
39. an npa app.
40. tweet-ups, mobile alerts, location based services, PURL’s.
41. Niche communities, g-chat, HTML.5.
42. Cloud computing will grow just like social media (google lean startup, engineyard.com)
43. aas – “as a service”
44. VLOGs, photo sharing, livecasting (www.animoto.com)</li></li></ul><li>“our company had to reduce search firm spend” <br />Nadine Hogan ~ Unisys<br />the future of recruiting<br /><ul><li> youtube to distribute job descriptions
45. facebook is becoming more popular than google.
46. 35-44 age group is the largest users of facebook.
47. top 3 methods in 2010 to recruit:
49. social media
50. employee referrals</li></ul>(can’t just be a “job posting” site)<br />
57. update, update, update </li></ul>* Facebook and twitter have more users than IN.<br />
58. <ul><li> start a careers page
59. share & discuss career, events, news, etc
60. watch you community page</li></li></ul><li>tweet deck<br />twit job search<br />twitter search API (application programming interface)<br /><ul><li> don’t just post jobs >>> discuss
61. start a company careers account
62. link to other communities (track with bit.ly)</li></ul>Tools - bit.ly | a simple URL shortener<br />The bit.ly Bookmarklet shortens your long link so you can share your bit.ly link on Twitter, Gmail, Email, or Facebook. Drag this to your browser toolbar to ...bit.ly/pages/tools - Cached - Similar<br />Zendesk Integrates Twitter Into Customer Service App - PCWorld ...<br />Jul 13, 2010 ...Zendesk, maker of Web-based help desk software, is rolling out an integration with Twitter.<br />
63. <ul><li> google is the 2nd largest site used to search (hulu is rising fast too!)
64. start a careers channel
65. post “job order videos”</li></li></ul><li><ul><li> Google buzz - Start conversations about the things you find interesting. Share updates, photos, videos and more with your friends.
66. GYST - Find Share & Review Businesses.
67. Android - is a mobile operating system developed by Google and is based upon a modified version of the Linux kernel.</li></li></ul><li>Google Reader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia<br />Google Reader is a Web-based aggregator, capable of reading Atom and RSS feeds online or offline. It was released by Google on October 7, 2005 through ...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google Reader - Cached - Similar<br />If you talk you must listen<br />Glassdoor.com - Company Salaries and Reviews<br />Glassdoor.com - Free company salaries, reviews & interview questions for 84000 companies. All posted anonymously by employees.www.glassdoor.com/ - Cached - Similar<br />
68. the others<br />
69. reach<br />engagement<br />candidates<br />Are people sharing your content or is it all direct hits?<br />Google optimization – daily ranks<br />Review and monitor www.compete.com<br />http://siteanalytics.compete.com/npaworldwide.com+topechelon.com/<br />
70. <ul><li>SEO is fundament – optimize titles, content
71. Use tagging – categorize content
72. Optimize digital assets – podcasts, video, etc.
73. understand and know your audience
74. how do they search?
75. what search engines do they use?
76. what lingo do they use?
77. how do they prefer their content served? (video, text, photos)
78. are they global, national, local?</li></li></ul><li>Can people find you?<br />People do not want to work to find you, they want to find the people who have worked so they can find you.<br />
79. what is your prediction?<br />
80. the lighter side of social media <br />it has been said that <br />linkedin is like going to <br />the office, facebook is like<br />going home, and twitter is <br />like going to the bar!<br />http://www.facebook.com/<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srD7bEU9MXA<br />