The presentation unfolds Information Technology's presence and exposure in the Healthcare Industry.
The technology used in this sector is of large scale and very less Big players/ Vendors are ruling the market.
Scope of IT In Indian Healthcare
Prepared By : Joydeep Dey
• Facts and Figures.
• Healthcare’s Market Potential (Size & Growth).
• Primary Software Used in Healthcare.
• Importance & Benefits of Healthcare Management Software.
• Evolving India- The Cynosure.
• Key Opportunity Segment in India - Medical Tourism & Telemedicine
• HIS Vendor Survey
• Interested Foreign Investors
• Indian Policy Initiatives
• Conclusion 2
Healthcare is the Information Technology is
Prevention, treatment & the study, design,
management of illness. development,
Also preservation of or management of
mental & physical computer based
wellbeing via services information systems,
offered by medical, comprising software &
nursing, & allied Health hardware.
Professions. ----Defn. by ITAA
FACTS & FIGURES
Global Healthcare Industry US $ 3.5 Trillion
Total Spend India’s GDP 5.7 % now & target - 6.00 % GDP by 2012
Private Sector Rs. 925 Billion
Public Sector Rs. 170 Billion
Industry Growth 12-15 % Annually
Demand Group Middle Income
Beds 0.7/1000 People
Extra Bed Needed 80,000/Yr for 10 Yrs
Extra Spend on Healthcare Rs. 2000 Billion by 2012.
Foreign Patient to India 12,000/Year
Infrastructure Required to match US $ 30 Billion over 10 Yrs
Magnet Destinations Kerala, Gujarat & Mumbai
Source -From project ‘ IT in Healthcare’ 4
Healthcare Market Potentials
India’s Health Indicators
No. of Doctors 5,03,900
No of Beds 8,70,161
No of Medical Colleges 162
No of Nurses 7,37,000
% of GDP
Source : E & Y,
2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
Software In Healthcare
Electronic Medical Record Software Electronic Health Records Software:
• Comprehensive Report of Medical History. • Patient Demographic Module
• Creates treatment plan, writing the • Appointment Schedule Module
process for transcription & proof reading • Billing Module
correction. • Admin/Security Module
• Based on HIPAA compliant. • Messaging Module
• Based on experience of Physician, medical • Drug Interaction Module
practices, & HL7 integration.
Practice Management Software
Impact Analysis Software. • Achieves Increased Efficiency.
• Checks invalid denials & • Combination of Financial, Admin. Claim processing
underpayments by Insurance Billing, appointment, etc….
• Snapshot positioning of Business. • Easy access to different locations with small window
• Reviews EOBs for Analysis. in 1 page
• Evaluates outsourced • Access to data & system can be restricted.
performance • Can update & create option in software too.
Generates Reports & Summaries.
Claim Processing Software
• Provides professional, cost effective & high quality processor.
• Improve CSAT, streamline business, Increase ROI & TAT.
• Also translate HIPAA coded to generic term.
• Made in compliance with Indian Healthcare Federations . 6
Benefits of Healthcare Software
I. Anytime and anywhere access
II. Easily customizable software.
III. User- friendly
IV. Easily stored information
V. Patient’s history can be monitored.
VI. Comparative analysis of performance vs. Cost
VII. Turn Around Time under SLA standardization.
Evolving India - The Cynosure
• One of Largest sector in Revenue & Employment
• Evolving Technology. Egs. Heart Disease,
Pre-Term Babies-1950 - 1990 (Neonatal
ICU), Steroids, artificial pulmonary
• Emerging Economy & market maturity of India.
• Sound IT infrastructure & skilled manpower.
• Established ITES-BPO market.
• Talented pool of manpower for R&D.
• Competitive Price for foreign patients.
Key Opportunity Segment
Hospital Services Medical Tourism Tele Medicine
Leading Country 80% conc. in Urban, 73% resides
Est. USD 1-2 Billion/2012 in rural.
Growth-30%/Yr Exponential growth in Info &
USA-Saves Cost, Canada-long Telecomm, making India highly
appointments, Britain-National competitive.
Health Service Wait Govt. & Public Sector Initiatives
Fortis, MaxHealthcare, Asian
Source- E &Y Research 9
HIS Vendor Surveys
Vendor Product Name Year of Product Modules Major Clients Price Range
Akhil Syst. HIS Vr- F Office, EMR, Inv Apollo (Bnglr On demand
1,’94, & Phrmy Mgmt. Noida), and
Vr-4, Moolchand, module
’07 RGCH-Delhi no#
BBNISYS eHMS 2007 Blood bank, In Talks Rs 3.5
Technolog Clinical Lac/100bed
Birla B Xenon 2006 OPD Registration, Kashibai Rs 5-20 lac
Medisoft HIM Software Bill charges, Certif.. Navale Inst of
ICU Module Med Sc.-
Designtech Asclepius- 2002 >25 Modules like Guj Cancer Rs 5L - 1cr
syst Hospital HIS, LIS, RIS Research
resource Mgmt Inst.- Ahm.
& Admin Artificial Limb
Systems Source- eHEALTH Magazine Centre- Pune 10
Interested Foreign Investors
Parkway Group, Singapore Pacific Healthcare Holding, Columbia Asia, Malaysia
The Company is This is one of Singapore’s This has set up its first 75
aggressively penetrating leading healthcare bed hospital in Hebbal,
Indian Market. Its entered provider, is coming up with Bangalore through the FDI
JV with Apollo to build Pacific Medical centre in route. The group has two
Apollo Gleneagles, a 325- Hyderabad in a JV with more projects in the
bed multi specialty hospital Vitae Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.. pipeline, 150 bed tertiary
at a cost of US $ 29 Mn & Two more medical care bed hospitals and
with Asian Heart Institute facilities, one for women another of 75-100 bed in
& Research centre to set and children’s and other Bangalore.
up specialized centre for for stem cell bank are also
medical excellence in coming up.
Source- E & Y Research
• National accreditation board to provide
accreditation to all public & private. Recommendations for Formulation
Hospital to ensure “QUALITY” . or reorganization of Institutions
• Clinical establishment act by 2006 to
make sure quality healthcare services. • Federal Drug Authority
• Govt to issue “Medical Visas” within • Indian Medical Devices Regulatory
month or less to promote M. T. Authority
• 100% FDI through FIPB route • Expanding Public Procurement system of
drugs, devices & vaccines.
• Amending drug & cosmetic rules to
include medical devices • National Institute for Health Information
and disease surveillance
• National Rural Mission launched in
2005 to provide effective healthcare to • National Commission for Quality Assurance.
• National Institute for Health Research.
• Govt institutionalizing a mechanism of
Public private partnership in
healthcare. • Commission for Excellence in Medical &