• What is Plone?
• What is Plone4Artists?
• Overview of features
• Example sites
What is Plone?
• Open source content management system
• Built on top of Python programming language
• Protected by the Plone Foundation, similar to
the Apache Foundation
• Strong multilingual support, workﬂow, open
• Used by Free Software Foundation, Ubuntu
Linux, Creative Commons, Open Source
Development Labs, Nokia, eBay, CIA
What is Plone4Artists?
• Grassroots project to build an out-of-the-box
portal solution for artist communities
• Built on top of the Plone, an open source CMS
• Publish multimedia content and podcasting
• Assign Creative Commons licenses to content
• Community tools - rating, commenting, proﬁles
• Easy to install and pre-conﬁgured
Why is this important?
• Lack of free and open source tools for
building online communities with video, audio
• Alternatives: MySpace,YouTube, Google Video
• Need control over server and OPEN access
• Need better tools to aggregate audio, video,
• Need for microsites to serve and nurture
• Drag-n-drop addition of content (WebDAV)
• Upload content via Flash upload tool or Java applet
• Extraction of audio/video metadata (ID3)
• Playback of audio and video in browser
• Podcasting and vodcasting (RSS 2.0)
• Transcoding (convert video to Flash)
• Creative Commons licensing
• Artist/band portfolios
• Community: tagging, rating, commenting,
• Community sites
• Demo multimedia products at
WebDAV mounted Plone folder Drag-n-drop to Plone
All the software products created for the Plone4Artists project.
Auto-configures a Plone4Artists site by installing and configuring all the products. The
full package includes Plone4ArtistsAudio, Plone4ArtistsVideo, Plone4ArtistsCalendar and
ContentLicensing, so you don't have to download those separately.
Upload a normal File to your Plone site, and Plone4ArtistsAudio will detect it as an MP3
or Ogg file and quot;decoratequot; it with metadata.
ArtistSite provides the core content types for building an artist community website: artist,
group, sitemember, recording and audio file.
Custom skin/theme for the Plone4Artists package.
Upload a video file to your Plone site and it is automatically detected as a video file, and
an appropriate player is used on the view page. You can also add videos that are hosted
at Google Video, YouTube, blip.tv, etc. and they will be embedded in your Plone site.
• Subversion repository
• Mailing list - send an email with ‘subscribe’ as
the subject to
• IRC - irc://irc.freenode.net/plone4artists
• Intense 5 day hackathon/powwow/jamsession
• Volunteer developers meet in BostonAll are
welcome! Free to participate.
• July 18-22, 2007