I made this presentation for my school, because we were reading a book 'The Kite Runner'. And many of my classmates didn't understand what was going in Afghanistan, so I did this presentation for a better comprehension.
Conflict in Afghanistan
Since 1978, until today.
Part of the Cold War and War on
Democratic Republic of Afghanistan
• The country had a communist government.
• Help from the Soviet Union.
• Resistance forces: Mujahidin.
• In 1989 the USSR leave the country, but the
Afghan communists don’t fall until 1992.
• Meaning: Muslims who fight for God (Allah).
• Helped by many Arabian volunteers.
• Osama bin Laden: organizer and financier.
• Supported by: the US (CIA), Pakistan (ISI),
China (People’s Liberation Army), Saudi
• Fall of the Communist government.
• The Mujahidin won the war and created a new
• Establishment of the Islamic State of
• But this government falls and the Mujahidin
• Another Civil War starts.
• Belligerents: Islamic State of
Afghanistan, Taliban, Al Qaeda.
• There are other guerrillas but they surrender
because they lose support from other
• Result: the Taliban won.
• Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan 1996-2001.
Civil War 1996-2001
• Taliban don’t have complete control of the
country. The north remains the Islamic State
• Belligerents: Taliban (Islamic Emirate of
Afghanistan) with Al Qaeda and Pakistan
against United Front (Islamic State of
-Flag of the Northern Alliance
-Map of Afghanistan
• End of the Taliban government.
• Creation of the ISAF (International Security
• Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
• Killing of Osama bin Laden.
• New Afghan Government and Security Forces.
• Return of more than 5.7 million refugees to