The First Masjid on Earth
Narrated Abu Dhar:
I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Which mosque was first built on
the surface of the earth?"
He said, "Al-Masjid-ul-,Haram (in Mecca)."
I said, "Which was built next?"
He replied "The mosque of Al-Aqsa ( in Jerusalem) .“
I said, "What was the period of construction between the
He said, "Forty years."
He added, "Wherever (you may be, and) the prayer time
becomes due, perform the prayer there, for the best
thing is to do so (i.e. to offer the prayers in time)." (Bukhari
:: Book 55 :: Hadith 585 )
• House of Allah called
Kabah because of its
• Also because of its
elevation above ground
• Also called Bait Al Atiq
because Allah freed it
from coming under the
control of tyrants.
Construction of Kabah
• Kabah Built a number of times
– First time built by Angels
– Second time built by Prophet Adam (as)
– Third Time built by Prophet Ibrahim (as) with his son
Prophet Ismail (as)
– Fourth time by the Quraish during life of Muhammad
Kabah as it stands now
The rise on the sacred location of the Kabah before it was built by Ibrahim (as)
Kabah built by Ibrahim (as)
• And (remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) and (his son) Ismâ'il
(Ishmael) were raising the foundations of the House (the Ka'bah at
Makkah), (saying), "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us.
Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.“ (Al-Baqarah, Ayat
Masjid e Aqsa
• Sulaiman (as), son of Dawood (as) built a house of
worship for Allah – The Masjid e Aqsa or Baitul Maqdas
on a sacred hill called Mount Moriah
Model of Temple of Solomon as thought by Jews
• The Jews call it the Temple of Solomon.
• They have detailed description of this temple in their
books which they have modeled.
• Babylonian King Nebuchadenezzar entered Jerusalem
in 586 BC and destroyed the temple. And enslaved the
• After many years Jews returned to Palestine & rebuilt
their temple during the reign of Persian King Cyrus and
were given self-government inside Jerusalem.
Drawing of the second Temple
• Jerusalem was conquered by Romans in the Era of Isa
(as). Temple was used by Isa (as) for preaching.
• 70 AD, Jews revolted against the Romans. Roman King
Titus entered Jerusalem and destroyed the Temple
• The Romans built their pagan temples all over
Jerusalem and started calling the city Aelia Capitalonia
• It was known by this name during the time of Muslims
The Temple on Mount Moriah as imagined by the Jews
Advent of Islam
• AD 324 -Roman King Constantine embraced
Christianity and built Churches in Jerusalem.
• In 571 AD Prophet Muhammad saw was born, while
Palestine was still under the Byzantine Christian
• In 614 AD Persians conquered Palestine and destroyed
the Christian Churches.
Kabah at the time of Quraish
• Before Prophet hood of Muhammad (saw) Kabah was a
structure of stones without mortar.
• Quraish rebuilt the Kabah with wood and stones and
made a roof for it.
• Prophet Muhammad saw placed the Black Stone The
Hajrah Aswad in its place at the corner of the Kabah.
Migration to Medina
• After proclaiming Islam,
Muslims were persecuted by
the Makkans so they migrated
to Medina, formerly Yathrib.
• The Qibla for prayer at
Medina was Masjid Al Aqsa
in Jerusalem, which was
probably just some ruins.
• After 17 months, Allah
commanded the change of
Qibla to Kabah at Makkah.