Who Is My Audience?
• Who Are They?
- Life Events
• What Do They Like?
• Do I Already Have Access to Them?
- Email List
- Website Visitors
#ZUCKERTIP: Go to
to try sample targeting schemes
What Do I Want Them to Do?
• Like Page
• Landing View App
• Share/Like/Comment on Post
• Engage App
• RSVP to Event
• Claim Offer
• Click Out to Website
• Great Experience!
• Tracking Enabled!
• Download/Install/Engage App
Next: Choose Ad Type
• Page Post Engagement: Likes, Comments,
Shares to a Single Post
• Page Likes: Ups your likes
• Clicks to Website: Drives traffic off
Facebook to your website.
• Website Conversions: Drives traffic to site
and optimizes based on conversion tracking
• App Installs: Installs
• App Engagement: Installs, Uses, Credit
• Event Responses: RSVPs
• Offer Claims: Ditto
Fulfillment counted w/in
- 24 hours of seeing
- 28 days of Clicking
Wait, What About This?
are OK for
reaching your own
• Create New Business ID Account
• Download Power Editor
• Build & Launch Campaign > Ad Set > Ad
• Monitor for Feedback
Sample Case: Waxtrax Records
• Business: Record Store
• Objectives: Sell More Online Inventory, Build Community
– Classic Rock Fans
– Record Collectors
– Email List
• Assets: Online Catalog,
• Metrics: Likes, Reach,
Create Business ID
• Go to:
• Choose “Account Management” > “Business
• Fill out form w/ your business email
• Hope for the best in 24 hours
#ZUCKERTIP: Do NOT Click “Create Ad”
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!
The Greatness of Power Editor
• Google Chrome Plugin
• More powerful features
– Custom Audiences
– Saved Target Groups
– Conversion Tracking
– Placement Control
– Custom Bidding
– Bulk Ads
– Dark Posts
• Browser App
• “Create Ad”
• Just the Basics
• Essential For:
Anatomy of Power Editor: Top Bar
Accounts, Manage Pages
Download = Important
Upload to Make Ads &
Anatomy of Power Editor: Top Bar
- Uploaded Images
- Saved Audiences
- Campaign Dashboard
- Conversions &
Reporting (Ads Mgr)
Anatomy of Power Editor: Filters
What’s selected here… Appears here.
Campaigns, Ad Sets and Ads
Pecking Order Defined By
CAMPAIGN • OBJECTIVE – Page Likes, Website Clicks, etc.
• BUYING TYPE – Auction, Fixed)
AD SET • BUDGET – Daily or Lifetime
• SCHEDULE – Start/End
(• AUDIENCE – Really But Not Listed Here)
AD • CREATIVE – IMAGE, Copy, Content
• TRACKING – Conversion Pixel, UTM links
• PLACEMENT – Desktop News Feed, Mobile, RH
• AUDIENCE – Defined Here But Doesn’t Change
• BIDDING – CPC, CPM, Optimized CPM
Creating a Campaign
• Elements of Campaign Name: Date, Objective
• Buying Type: Auction is “Standard” bidding, Fixed
allows to pay for prefixed amt. of impressions
From Campaign view, click Create Campaign
Creating an Ad Set
• Name: Same as
Campaign, but with
• Budget: Lifetime for
when you have a
known budget and end
date; Daily for when
you want to run
• Start & End dates:
Creating an Ad: Choose Creative
• Choose a relevant image
• Cater to audience
• No text or logo over image (if so, obey 20% rule)
• Include people’s faces
• Experiment w/ multiple images per ad set
• Get the size right (1200 x 627 for link ads)
• Be brief! 90 characters
• Include a clear call-to-action in text
• Write for engagement (include a question) #ZUCKERTIP: for sizes go to
dimensions/ -- that guy knows
Creating an Ad: Ads = Images
• Test same copy, same
audience, same bid w/
different image for each ad.
• Optimized CPM will choose
• Pause ads that don’t perform
Copy: Are you a vinyl junkie?
We’ve got 50% off Classic Rock
LPs. Limited Time Only!
Create Ad: Unpublished Post
• Parts of Ad Process
• Name = Campaign + Set +
• Objective = Website
Conversions (No pixel: Website
• Content = Page Post
• Facebook Page/Place = Select
• Click “Create New Unpublished
Create Ad: Unpublished Post
• URL: Link to landing page
• Post Text: 90-char (or more)
• Call to Action: Button
• Link Headline: Clickable text
under image in Newsfeed /
• Display Link: Link that shows
• Description: Gray text under
• Options at bottom: Check if
you want post published to
Creative Tab: Placement & Tracking
• URL Tags: Google UTM
builder (doesn’t always work)
• Conversion Tracking: Create
Pixel Code Snippet
• Choose Placement: Desktop vs.
• Mobile Newsfeed =
• Desktop Newsfeed =
Slightly less engagement
but still high
• Right Hand = Most
Cost (Use if creative
• All Facebook
Defining Your Audience
• Be “Inclusively Exclusive”
• Find the Largest Group of People Actually Likely to Buy or…
• The Biggest Niche
• Don’t Believe “Potential Audience” > Actual Reach
Targeting Options in Power Editor
• Custom Audiences: Email Addresses, Mail Chimp, App
Users, Website Visitors (a la Google) – 20-60% Matching
• Lookalike Audiences
• Excluded Custom Audiences
• Saved Target Groups
• Partner Categories: “Behavior” – third party marketing
databases (Acxiom, Datalogix)
• The Usual Stuff: Interests, Demographics, Connections
Optimization & Pricing (aka Bidding)
CPC = Cost Per Click
Pay $.01 more than next-
Useful on Off-FB
campaigns w/ no tracking
CPM = Cost Per 1,000
If you want to pay for
Optimizes based on
audience completion of
#ZUCKERTIP: If you’re gonna
do CPC or CPM, bid at least 30%
higher than the highest “suggested
bid … EVERY DAY.
How Optimization Works
• Platform boosts ad that gets best return on objective.
• Cost decreases as engagement increases.
• In 24-48 hours, will increase delivery of best-performing ad, decrease others.
• When this happens, pause other ads in set.
• That’s why we use multiple ads and make images the only variables!
Measuring & Reporting
Learning to Love Your Own Data
Measuring Ad Performance
• Facebook.com/ads/manage – NOT Insights
• Reach, Frequency, Impressions, Clicks, Unique Clicks, CTR,
Unique CTR, CPM, Spend, CPC, Actions, People Taking
Action, Page Likes, Social Reach, Social Spend, Cost Per
1,000 People Reached, Post Likes, Offer Claims, Website
Clicks, Page Mentions, Gift Sales, Leads, Conversions, Adds
to Cart, Mobile App Ratings Conversion Value …
Pick and Choose Data Through “Edit Columns”
#ZUCKERTIP: Actions is where the
action’s at: website clicks, conversions,
engagement – they’re all here!
A Few Average Benchmarks
• Impressions: 30% of audience per week
• Clicks: 3% of impressions
• Conversion rate: 1 - 3% of impressions
• CTR goal: 0.08% is great - 0.05% is the bar
• Average CPC: $1
• Cost Per Page Like: Varies by audience - some
$0.01, others $5 (I’ve seen mostly in the $1 range)
• Frequency: 4+ is mildly annoying; 7+ is spam
Judge Metrics Based on Objectives, Audience
Campaign Reach Frequency Impressions Clicks CTR Website Clicks Page Likes
AMTAX - FAMT - Website 110880 2.03 224983 775 0.34 376 75
Join AMTA - Stud/Grad - Likes -
Schools 20059 2.01 40229 694 1.73 7 558
National Convention 48077 8.36 401932 1239 0.31 876 107
CE Classes 26860 4.86 130477 797 0.61 523 5
Join AMTA - Professionals - Website 37857 1.85 69882 91 0.13 42 8
• Am I Reaching My Target Audiences?
• Are They Clicking/Engaging?
• Are They Converting?
• Are They Seeing the Same Ads too Often?
Real-Time Reports in Ads Manager
“National Convention” Campaign
Always Be Optimizing
• Reach Low? – Adjust Targeting, Budget (if
• Clicks Falling Off? – Adjust Creative, Targeting
• Too Frequent? – Time for New Creative
• Above all, if you have the money, test Test
• Power Editor
• Ad Sizes & other great
• Start to Success program (requires $1500 ad
• Business Manager - apply for beta
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.