BTEC Creative Media Production
BTEC Creative Media Certificate
• Equivalent of 1 AS Level
• Print based media qualification
• 4 different units to be completed through the year
• Option to continue as a subsidiary diploma the following year
(equivalent of a full A Level)
This BTEC Level 3 Certificate has
to be studied as part of an A-
Level programme, alongside 3
other subjects. Please do not
apply for this course by itself.
Print Based Media
Year One is essentially learning about planning media
production, developing media communication skills, learning
DSLR photography in depth and magazine design.
• Unit 1: Pre-Production Techniques for the Creative Media
• Unit 2: Communication Skills for Creative Media
• Unit 51: Page Layout and Design
• Unit 57: Photography and learning Photographic Practice.
Print Based Media
• This course develops your research and investigative skills to report
on news and cultural events.
• Learn about journalism and how to communicate effectively
through a range of print media.
• Design page layouts for print based and digital products, discover
how to create and edit text to meet a brief.
• Learn how to develop your photography skills to meet a live brief
from a company outside of college.
• Learn how to manage your production work, develop your ideas
and pitch your proposals.
• Follow this video tutorial step by step to make
your own magazine front cover:
Possible study visits include a trip to Nuneaton
Newspapers and BBC Coventry and
• Trips to cost as and when.
• Minimal costs involved to purchase existing media texts
(less than £5 to purchase magazine and news texts).
• Students may want to purchase a DSLR camera although
this is not essential as they are available to borrow from
• Students may want to purchase Adobe Creative Suite
software although this is not essential as this is available
across college on all computers.
What Other Subjects Can I Study With
This course goes well with…
• English Language and/or Literature
• Film studies
What can I do after I finish this
You could progress from this course to study or
work in the following fields:
• creative media production
• print and media technologies
• public relations
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.