AS Photography Documentary assignment brief 2013Document Transcript
AS Documentary Project
DEADLINE Date: One to ones from week beginning Monday 6 th January 2014
“Documentary Photography is the process of using images to depict and/or record
an event, keeping as close to representing reality as possible.”
Name of Student: _______________________________
1. Title Page
• What is documentary photography?
• What makes a good documentary project?
• What are the different sub genres? Show examples and give definitions
2. Short Story Birmingham Trip
You have to document a short story/narrative from the Birmingham trip, you
can use one of the following sub-genres of documentary:
• Portraits of people at work
• Street photography
• Street portraits
• Documentary landscape
For ambitious students try to complete 2 of the above.
In your narrative you must exemplify different types of shots, including:
establishing, detailed, main and concluding.
In your sketchbook:
• Shooting Plan – what/why/how
• Contact sheets – printed and annotated
• Artist comparison – compare 2-3 of your images with 2-3 images
from a photographer you have researched.
• 4-6 final images printed on photo paper.
DEADLINE 1 = Monday 9/Tues 10
Your final outcomes need to be based around one of the following stimuli:
- ‘my tribe’
- role models
• Mind map of your ideas for your final concept. Need to include an
explanation of what you are doing and why.
• Contact sheets annotated of each shoot.
• Print best 4 images from each shoot A5 in your book and reflect on your
areas of development and your aims for the next shoot.
• 800 words minimum
• Analyse 4 images (use help sheet on moodle/blog) including concept
behind the body of work, technical, lighting and compositional analysis.
• Artist statement
• 6 – 10 final photographs on photo paper mounted outside your
• Evaluate your final documentary project