A2 Photography ART4 Controlled Assignment
Check list - what to include in your sketchbook
Remember to look at your overview for key dates – find it on Moodle or the blog:
Monday 31st March – Friday 11 April: 12hour exam (you will need to timetable your own slots)
1. Front Cover of
2. Introduction /
3. Initial Planning
4. Artist Research
Include your full name, A2 Photography, Block and ART4
Leave at least a page or two at the front of your sketchbook
for an introduction/artist statement to your chosen exam
question and your what are my intentions form.
brainstorms of 2-3 of the exam question
Visual mood board of ideas
Include any initial artist comparisons or research that
connect to these ideas
Written Essay of 1500 words, to include comparing and
contrasting two different photographers. Analysing 2
different images in depth.
Artist Comparison: Compare images you have
experimented with alongside images of your main
photographer’s work and show evidence of inspiration,
influence and similarities (composition etc).
The more artist research you have the better – remember
the essay is worth 25% of your overall grade.
5. Planning for
• Mind map of your ideas for your final theme. Need to
Each Photoshoot must include the following:
• Shooting plan –detailing what you are going to do, why,
how, when and where. Need to include technical details
and most importantly WHY – how have your ideas
developed from your previous photoshoot.
• Visual influences – which additional photographers
have you researched for inspiration?
• Contact sheet – annotate best/worst shots
• Print best 4+ images and analyse how and why they are
technically, lighting, compositionally, conceptually and
linked to your artist research.
• Evaluate your shoot – strengths and weaknesses –
what to improve in the next one and how your ideas
have moved forward.
include an explanation of what you are doing and why.
7. Experimentation You must demonstrate:
• How you have refined your ideas in each shoot (as stated
• You must demonstrate your technical skills and knowledge
in each photoshoot
• Are you using any other experimental techniques? Tactile
or Photoshop techniques. Have you documented how
you’ve done this (if in Photoshop) in your sketchbook?
Screen grabs will be necessary
8. Final Planning
• What are you planning to do in your exam?
and Mock ups
• Experiment with different types of presentation techniques
• Include contextual references for your presentation style.
• What will be your final outcomes and why?
9. Final Outcomes Produced in the exam
• Artist Statement
• You will need to detail how many, what and why you are
producing these in your sketchbook before the exam.
10. Evaluation of
Produced in the exam
• Evaluate ART4 project as a whole.