1. Reducing the Stigma of Mental Illness
Bipolar awareness-stop the stigma mk.-mk.facebook.com
2. What is Mental Illness and Stigma?
Mental Illness: is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s:
Mood and the ability to relate to others
Stigma: is a mark or disgrace associated with a circumstances, quality or person
3. Mental Illness Affects Adults and Children
Nearly 5 million children in the
U.S. suffers from a mental illness.
The Biggest warning signs of mental illness
Turning the page-inspiring mental health
Appropriately 57.7 millions
adults in the U.S. suffers from a
Bipolar awareness – stop the stigma
Be the change- blogs.psychcentral.com
4. Causes and Treatment of Mental Illness
Biological factors, abnormal balance of chemicals in the brain
Genetics (heredity) run in the family
Psychological factors, severe psychological trauma, early los of parents, neglect
Environmental factors, death ,divorce, low self-esteem, anxiety, and anger
5. Know The Myths and Facts about Mental
No hope for people with mental illness.
There are more treatment, services and
I cannot do anything for a person with mental illness. You can do a lot, starting with how you act and speak.
People with mental illnesses are violent and unpredictable. People with mental illness are no more violent than anyone
Else. They are more likely the victims.
Mental illness do not affect me. Mental illnesses are common, they affect almost every
family in America. Mental illnesses do not discriminate.
People with mental illness cannot tolerate the stress of
holding down a job. All jobs are stress at some point. Any body is more
productive when there is a match between employee’s
needs and working conditions.
Once people develop mental illnesses, they will never
Recovery. Studies show that most people with mental illnesses get better
And many recovery completely
Children do not experience mental illnesses. Their action
Are just products of bad parenting.
Studies shows that 9% of children experience serious
Children misbehave or fail in school to get attention. Behavior problems can be symptoms of emotional,
behavioral or mental problems.
Bipolar awareness stop the
The stigma, www.facebook.
6. Mental Illness is a Medical Condition Just Like:
7. Stigma and discrimination against mental illness
can negatively impact a person:
8. People Suffering from Mental Illness Should
have the Same Rights and Freedom
February fun with freedom-www.inogenone.com
Live, Work, Socialize and be Educated in their Community
Live as productive members of their community
9. Media wrap-domestic violence-www.dvrcv.org.ay
Vast Majority of people with Mental Illness are not
Unpredictable and Violent
10. Don’t Label People with Mental Illness
“Words Can Hurt”
11. Yes! People with a Mental Illness have Feelings
12. A yellow bicycle-ayellowbicycle.blogspot.com
It is What We do not Know About Mental
Illness that Hurt People
13. Open Your Mind
How to deal with low self-esteem-blogsbujournalism.info
14. Don’t See My Mental Illness? See Me!
15. Children and youth mental health-www.granderie.ca
People with Mental Illness need Your Help to
Reduce the Stigma
16. Be the change-blogs.psychcentral.com
Help Reduce Stigma of Mental Illness
17. Arm Yourself with Facts, take the Initiative
to Reduce Stigma
Steps to Reducing
Having the right information and education about mental illness
Join the protest, stop believing negative views about mental illness
Increase contact with people who have a mental illness, get to know them
18. NCDD Community-Ncdd.org
Knowledge is Power
19. Caring Makes a Difference
20. Bipolar awareness-stop the stigma-www.facebook.com
Awareness Can Help Reduce the Stigma of