Transcript of "Routes Online Presentation - The Chinese Social Media Universe"
The Chinese Social Media Universe － 中国社会媒体概况 Dr. Mathew McDougall CEO, Founder; Digital Jungle
43% of all internet users are from Asia Asian is starting to dominate in terms of content creation, engagement online and number of netizens
But because of Chinese Government interventions, the ChineseInternet landscape is quite different. For example, China has blocked
So with this, China has development sites like Renren, Weibo, Youku, etc.
Here is a comparison of Western and Chinese social media sites
Chinese Social Media Universe Fast Facts (Source: China Internet Network Information Center June, 2011)
As of the end of June 2011, Chinese netizens reached to 485 Million Internet Users
Average duration for netizens to surf internet is18.7 hours perweek- an increase of 0.4 hour compared to the end of 2010
There were 318 million users of blogs, increased 23.18 million compared with those at the end of 2010
301 million users of online video sharing sites.
Netizens accessing the Internet at Internet café 33.76 million
my weibo ID: sinotechian In the first half of 2011, Chinese microblog users increasedfrom 63.11 million to 195 million rapidly, increasing 132 million in half a year, with a growth rate as high as 208.9%
There are 318 million mobile phone netizens with anincrease of 14.94 million compared to the end of 2010
Online shopping users had reached 173 million. Chineseusers of group buying grew from 18.75 million at the end of 2010 to 42.20 million in middle 2011
By the end of Jun 2011, Chinese users of travel booking engines increased to 36.86 million
So… are there some tips wecan use to leverage Chinesesocial media for Tourism
• Monitor the channels they’re using.• What are they saying about your brand?• What are they saying about competitors’ brands?• Pre-empt reputational crises. Be ready to respond when necessary. 1. Listen to them
• Remember our Chinese netizens are different in behavior and in online intent• Consider what are their motivations for using social media (are you wanting to reach a broad or narrow demographic)?• How do they interact with different social media channels?• How to they interact with each other across these channels?• What drives them to participate and spread messages?• What kinds of messages will they be receptive to? 2. Understand them
• Don’t simply jump on the social media bandwagon.• When engaging Chinese through social media you must know which medium is right for your message and your objective• i.e. when to use corporate blogs vs. forums vs. social networking sites.• After selecting your channels, make sure your brand is highly visible to the public. 3. Be visible to them
• Why should Chinese netizens engage with your brand and spread your message?• Is it a social currency?• Does it leverage opinion leadership among their peers?• Timely and compelling content?• Access to exclusive promotions?• Incorporate incentives that will drive interest and participation. 4. Know what incentives work for them
• Be authentic and transparent in communicating across social media.• Try to add legitimate value to netizens’ online experiences.• Most importantly, don’t try to deceive this group– they are smart and it will only lead to backlash and reputational damage. 5. Gain and maintain their trust
Gaining insights from Chinesesocial media using technology
SIP：EnterpriseLeading Chinese Social Media platforms
Buzz by time then by AirlineDetermine online buzz by competitor
Where are people What do people talking? think? Which channels are people talking in? Today’s social media technology
Competitive analysis Awareness & PercepBon 100 90 80 70 60 Food & Beverage 50 Loyalty & SaBsfacBon 40 30 20 10 0 An airline or airport can understand how they compare in key areas Cleaniness Service Facility Using technology to gain greater understanding
In China, censorship has not stopped Social Media but simply changed the players and modified online behavior from the West Chinese online user behavior is different to the West – Chinese are more social, trusting and entertainment oriented Also, impacting business like never before. Companies must look attheir online brand health, online reputation and product promotions Social media is not simply random posting on various media’s but using conscious engagement strategies targeting specific netizens Tools & Technologies are available for monitoring and analyising your Chinese social media programs (however, not as many as for Western social media) 5 Parting Thoughts
Follow on Twitter: @sinotechian Follow on Weibo: sinotechian Connect on Facebook: www.facebook.com.sinotechian Read my blog: www.dmic.asia Connect on Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/drmathewmcdougallDr. Mathew McDougall! Chief ExecuBve Oﬃcer My presentations on Slideshare: www.slideshare.net/digitaljungle Also, don’t miss out on my new book! “The Chinese Social Media Universe” !
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.