• To understand the hardware components that
make up networked computer systems.
• To be able to explain how they interact, and how
they affect cost and performance.
Watch this clip - think about inputs and outputs.
What's wrong with the cartoon
• An input device captures data and sends it to a
• Input devices convert physical movement, such as
key pressing, or environmental data, such as
temperature, sound or light into electrical signals.
• There are two types of input device: manual and
• A manual input device requires a human hand to
• An automatic input device inputs data without
the need for human intervention (once the
device has been set up), e.g. MICR, OMR,
barcode reader, webcam, microphone, sensor.
• Create a PowerPoint presentation, with separate
slides for different manual and automatic input
devices Explain how the device is used.
• Open www.wordle.net Try to include as many
different manual and automatic input devices as
you can in your word cloud.
In pairs you have 2 minutes to share one thing
you have learnt in today’s lesson and how it will
That’s 1 minute each to talk about what you
have learnt in todays lesson.