Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Economic Impact of Mississippi’sForest ResourcesLogging, Solid Wood Products,Pulp and Paper, and Wood Furniture Manufactur...
Mississippi’s Forest Resources<br />19.6 million acres<br />65% of the state’s total land area<br />Major component of Mis...
Mississippi’s Forest Resources<br />Over $1 billion worth of forest products harvested annually and delivered to mills and...
Photo by Laurie Grace<br />
Economic Impact of Forest Products Industry<br />Henderson, J.E., I.A. Munn, G. Perez-Verdin, D.L. Grebner. 2008. <br />
The importance of forestry and forest products is well documented at the state level.<br />But what impact does it have at...
The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
Forest Products Industry Impacts Economy In Three Ways:<br />Forestry & Forest Products<br />Purchases from supporting sec...
Input – Output Analysis<br />Economy divided into 440 sectors.<br />Depicts inter-industry relations of an economy. <br />...
Economic Impact on Mississippi’s Economy Measured by:<br />Employment  <br /> the number of full- and part-time jobs in th...
The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
Jobs<br />
Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />
Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />590 jobs<br />14.9% of county<br />
Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />590 jobs<br />14.9% of county<br...
Income<br />
Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />
Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$18 Million in in...
Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$18 Million in in...
Output<br />
Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />
Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$57 Million<br />7.5% of c...
Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$57 Million<br />7.5% of c...
Value Added<br />
Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />
Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$33.9 Million<br />12....
Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$33.9 Million<br />12....
Timber Harvest Value (2007)<br />
Forest Products Facilities<br />Source: U.S. F.S<br />
Population<br />Economic Impact<br />(in percentage terms):<br />Greater in rural counties<br />Smaller in urban counties<...
Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />G...
Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />S...
Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />G...
Standing Timber Value<br />Estimation process:<br />2007 Product Prices applies to standing timber volume estimates:<br />...
Standing Timber Value<br />
The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
This information is available online!<br />www.MSUCares.com<br />
Thank You<br />
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Economic Impact of Mississippi’s Forest Resources

791

Published on

This power point presentation was developed to introduce a new publication series addressing the economic impact of forestry and forest products to Mississippi’s predominantly forested counties. The presentation has been adapted for county specific audience throughout Mississippi.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
791
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
10
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "Economic Impact of Mississippi’s Forest Resources"

  1. 1. Economic Impact of Mississippi’sForest ResourcesLogging, Solid Wood Products,Pulp and Paper, and Wood Furniture ManufacturingJames E. HendersonAssistant Extension ProfessorDepartment of Forestry<br />
  2. 2. Mississippi’s Forest Resources<br />19.6 million acres<br />65% of the state’s total land area<br />Major component of Mississippi’s economic base <br />Source: Forest Inventory & Analysis Factsheet <br />Mississippi 2006, U.S. Forest Service<br />Percentage of land in forest by county <br />< 25%<br />25 – 49<br />50 – 74<br />>75%<br />
  3. 3. Mississippi’s Forest Resources<br />Over $1 billion worth of forest products harvested annually and delivered to mills and other manufacturing plants<br />Timber harvesting and product manufacturing has impact on state economy<br />Source: Forest Inventory & Analysis Factsheet <br />Mississippi 2006, U.S. Forest Service<br />Percentage of land in forest by county <br />< 25%<br />25 – 49<br />50 – 74<br />>75%<br />
  4. 4. Photo by Laurie Grace<br />
  5. 5. Economic Impact of Forest Products Industry<br />Henderson, J.E., I.A. Munn, G. Perez-Verdin, D.L. Grebner. 2008. <br />
  6. 6. The importance of forestry and forest products is well documented at the state level.<br />But what impact does it have at the county level?<br />Introducing a new publication series to address that question.<br />Economic Impact of Forest Products Industry<br />
  7. 7. The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
  8. 8. Forest Products Industry Impacts Economy In Three Ways:<br />Forestry & Forest Products<br />Purchases from supporting sectors<br />Employee spending<br />Direct Effect<br />Indirect Effect<br />Induced Effect<br />Total Effect<br />
  9. 9. Input – Output Analysis<br />Economy divided into 440 sectors.<br />Depicts inter-industry relations of an economy. <br />Shows how output of one industry is an input to other industries or sectors of the economy.<br />IMPLAN: input-output modeling software<br />
  10. 10. Economic Impact on Mississippi’s Economy Measured by:<br />Employment <br /> the number of full- and part-time jobs in the sector<br />Employee compensation <br />the wages paid by the sector<br />Output <br />the sector’s total value of production<br />Value-added <br />total sector output minus the costs of purchased inputs<br />
  11. 11. The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
  12. 12.
  13. 13.
  14. 14.
  15. 15.
  16. 16. Jobs<br />
  17. 17. Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />
  18. 18. Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />590 jobs<br />14.9% of county<br />
  19. 19. Jobs<br />Direct Effect<br />695 jobs<br />17.6% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />590 jobs<br />14.9% of county<br />Total Impact<br />1,285 jobs<br />32.5% of county<br />
  20. 20. Income<br />
  21. 21. Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />
  22. 22. Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$18 Million in income<br />11.5% of county<br />
  23. 23. Income<br />Direct Effect<br />$58 Million in income<br />36.3% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$18 Million in income<br />11.5% of county<br />Total Impact<br />$76 Million in income <br />47.8% of county<br />
  24. 24. Output<br />
  25. 25. Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />
  26. 26. Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$57 Million<br />7.5% of county<br />
  27. 27. Output<br />Direct Effect<br />$352.8 Million<br />46% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$57 Million<br />7.5% of county<br />Total Impact<br />$410 Million<br />53.5% of county<br />
  28. 28. Value Added<br />
  29. 29. Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />
  30. 30. Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$33.9 Million<br />12.5% of county<br />
  31. 31. Value Added<br />Direct Effect<br />$95.5 Million<br />35% of county<br />Indirect and Induced<br />$33.9 Million<br />12.5% of county<br />Total Impact<br />$129.4 Million<br />47.6% of county<br />
  32. 32.
  33. 33.
  34. 34.
  35. 35. Timber Harvest Value (2007)<br />
  36. 36. Forest Products Facilities<br />Source: U.S. F.S<br />
  37. 37. Population<br />Economic Impact<br />(in percentage terms):<br />Greater in rural counties<br />Smaller in urban counties<br />
  38. 38. Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />Greater in rural counties<br />Smaller in urban counties<br />
  39. 39. Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />Smaller in urban counties<br />
  40. 40. Total Jobs ImpactAs Percent of County Total<br />Total Jobs ImpactDirect, Indirect, & Induced<br />Economic Impact:<br />Greater in rural counties<br />
  41. 41. Standing Timber Value<br />Estimation process:<br />2007 Product Prices applies to standing timber volume estimates:<br />Hardwood and Softwood<br />Sawtimber and Pulpwood<br />Source:<br />Mississippi Institute for Forest Inventory (MIFI)<br />
  42. 42. Standing Timber Value<br />
  43. 43. The Economic Contribution of Forestry and Forest Products to Mississippi Counties <br />
  44. 44. This information is available online!<br />www.MSUCares.com<br />
  45. 45.
  46. 46.
  47. 47.
  48. 48. Thank You<br />
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×