1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge formsand conventions of real media products?The ways my documentary uses, develops and challenges forms of real mediaproducts is by using a variety of camera angles. For my clips and interviews Ihave experimented with different camera angles such as long shots, close upsand two shots. I had 3 interviews in my extract using the over the shouldershot (180 degree rule) which most documentaries use. Ive also used twoshots as well for my interviews which you see a lot in documentaries. Ive useddifferent editing through my extract, I have used fading transitions when theclips change. I used and establishing shot showing Coventry and archbishopilsley. This goes with normal codes and conventions of documentarys as theyoften establish the location of the area.My documentary has a title sequence like any documentary does. Also manydocumentaries have some form of achieve footage and mine uses a piece ofachieve footage that’s 20 seconds long. Ive challenged the forms andconventions of real media products by using facts and statistics and thebeginning of my documentary and before the title.
2. Ive also used the ‘voice of god’ where Im talking over some of my clips toexplain what is going on and where I am filming, Many documentaries use thevoice of God and that’s what I have done with mine. My factual insert usesthe channel 4 style guide and matches the font and the layout. It is haspicture and a heading that matches the message of the picture. I have a hugetitle that stands out and the logo is placed on the right hand side just as it ison channel 4 documentary factual inserts.
3. How effective is the combination of your main product andancillary texts?My documentary is effective as all my ancillary texts are linked. Myradio advert I used is directly explaining my documentary, Ive alsotaken a 25 second audio extract from my documentary to use in myradio advert to give a short preview for my documentary and for myaudience to get a glimpse of it on the radio. My radio advert uses aprofessional voice for the description of my documentary clearlystating what the documentary is going to be all about. The channel 4music is playing in the background, so anyone listening even if theyarent my target audience will know just by the music that it’s adocumentary for channel 4.My factual insert has a main image which links to my topic, it raisesquestions in the head of my audience. The piece of paper usesfigures of the cost of tuition fees which is directly showing what mydocumentary is all about. It matches the channel 4 style guide withthe logo and channel 4 font and headers, this will let my audienceknow it’s a channel 4 documentary. I stick to two main colours in myfactual insert, these colours where taken out of my image so it sticksto a main colour scheme just like the channel 4 style guide states.
4. What have you learned from your audience feedback?For feedback off my target audience I printed out a review sheet for them tofill in. A number of people in my target audience have watched mydocumentary and have gave me feedback of what I did well and what couldbe improved. I also asked what they found interesting about thedocumentary.I have learned that I used a good tone of voice and my speaking was veryclear in my clips and asked good questions. The graphics of my clips werevery good and the camera angles I used were in the right place and werewell positioned. The use of transitions I used in my footage was good as itshowed clear editing. My target liked the interviews in my footage as theywere very useful and insightful and that they learned from it. One commentstated ‘ the documentary served its purpose and was very informative’. Theachieve footage was very appropriate for the topic.Ive also learned from my target audience that I could improve mydocumentary in some areas. My target audience thought that somebackground noise could be reduced in my clips. In interviews I sometimeslook at the camera a bit to often and that some camera work could havebeen a bit better. Also ask a few more questions so my audience get a betterinsight. Also perhaps talk to someone whos behind the rising tuition feeswho has power. I could of spent a bit less time interviewing people and spentmore time interviewing a different variety of people.
5. I wanted to know what my audience found interesting about the topic. Myaudience found it interesting that there was many different opinions on risingtuition fees. As they were affected themselves they found it really helpful thatthey got a different students perspective. The statistics were very interestingabout the rise in fees.My documentary was originally called ‘ Cost of living: Rising Tuition Fees’but I decided to change it to ‘Cost Of Living’ as it made more sense to mytarget audience and so it wasn’t to long. The feedback I had receivedresulting in me changing the title, its more suitable for the topic of mydocumentary. My audience will engage with the new title better as its moreclear to them.
6. How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages ?I used new media technologies in the construction and research, planning andevaluation stages by using a Canon HD camera to record all my footage. I did thisusing a variety of different camera angles using a tripod. The tripod enabled me tofilm at the right angles and height. I used iMovie to construct my footage alltogether for my final extract. For my factual insert I used fireworks to produce it.For my radio advert I used garage band to take a sound clip from my extract. Iveused the website blogger to blog all my progress in making my documentary andI’ve posted all my work onto the website.For my research I used new media technologies by using the internet to watch avariety of different documentary types to analyse. I used websites such asYouTube, BBC iplayer, 4od and demand 5. I watch documentaries on thesewebsites. I analysed these by using Microsoft word. Other media technologies Iused for my research are audacity, I used this to record myself speaking out 2 ofmy 6 documentary analysis. In my research I also used Microsoft excel to put inmy data from my questionnaires and produce them into graphs. I analysed thesegraphs in Microsoft PowerPoint.I used new media technologies for planning my documentary by using iMovie on aMac book. I also used the internet to watch other documentaries to get an insightof what I could use for my footage. I also used the internet by using searchengines such as Google to find out information about tuition fees.