Post: Performance and Planning Manager
Team: Performance and Customer Service Team
Location: Myson House, Rugby
Line manages: Performance Improvement Officers (3)
Reports to: Head of Performance and Customer Service
1. To manage and develop the performance improvement team and other resources,
to ensure excellence in performance management and to achieve continuous
improvement across the organisation.
2. To lead on the introduction of performance improvement techniques and support
managers and staff in their implementation across the GSCC.
3. Develop and implement efficient and effective business and corporate planning
processes to produce three year corporate plans and annual business plans and
support managers in their implementation.
4. To contribute to the development of the Council’s corporate strategy, develop the
relevant business and work plans in accordance with corporate guidance.
1. To recruit, manage and develop Performance Improvement Staff, providing
induction, supervision, appraisal, development, motivation, leadership and
guidance, to deliver high quality services.
2. To help create a performance culture in the GSCC which promotes and celebrates
continuous improvement through the use of evidence-based management.
3. To lead on the implementation of a continuous programme of service reviews that
focuses on service improvement.
4. To implement efficient and effective business planning processes to produce three
year corporate plans and annual business plans.
5. To implement effective performance management and reporting systems to enable
Council, EMT and managers to have the information they need to monitor and
6. To provide information for public and stakeholders about the performance of the
GSCC and disseminate as appropriate.
7. To develop, implement and be the custodian of the GSCC project and programme
management methodology, supporting and advising staff on its use and
periodically reviewing its appropriateness.
8. To work with key partners and stakeholders to identify opportunities for joint
working and implement collaboratively as appropriate.
9. To learn from best practice in performance management and ensure it is
implemented across the organisation
10. To develop business assurance processes which enable the organisation to achieve
its business objectives; to keep these processes under review and to amend and
develop them in line with GSCC corporate governance processes and legislative
11. To manage delegated budgets for Performance and Planning and contracts, where
commissioned, assisting in the development of annual budgets, forecasting and
tracking expenditure, ensuring expenditure against budgets is monitored, recorded
and managed in line with corporate procedures and advising the Head of Service
on a regular basis of the budget position and immediately of any significant
12. To develop business and work plans for the team that are strategically aligned to
business objectives and in line with the requirements of the corporate plan.
Duties for all:
1. To comply with the General Social Care Council’s equal opportunities policies
2. To contribute to the development of service improvements through
participation and involvement in team meetings, workshops, conferences and
3. To learn about the work of the General Social Care Council, your group and
your team so that you can respond or redirect questions and enquiries from
staff, stakeholders and other agencies in a reasonably informed and helpful
4. To work flexibly and respond positively to changing business needs and to
undertake such other duties appropriate to the level of the post that may
reasonably be required.
1. This job description describes the principal purpose and main elements of the
job. It is a guide to the nature of the main duties as they currently exist but is
not intended as a wholly comprehensive or permanent schedule of tasks.
Post: Performance and Planning Manager
Abilities and skills
Ability to manage and lead a team, motivating, developing and
supporting staff to meet team objectives.
Highly developed ability to present information in writing and orally,
C including reports and business plans, in a clear, concise and
D Ability to plan and manage resources, services and projects.
Ability to establish and maintain effective and co-operative working
E relationships, influencing and engaging staff at all levels and external
Education, knowledge and experience
Experience of successfully managing performance management or similar
I Knowledge of performance management software and its practical use.
Experience of reviewing services using established techniques and
influencing managers to implement recommendations for improvement
Experience of developing, implementing and managing a business
planning process to meet an organisation’s requirements.
Knowledge and experience in the support of formal project and
L programme management technologies and tools.
M Personal commitment to diversity and equal opportunities.
Diplomacy and sensitivity to work with a variety of people at all levels
within an organisation to achieve results.
O Project Management Qualification