FINAL EXAM REVIEW SHEET
MAN 3301: HR Management
The final exam will take place on Wednesday, April 29th during regularly scheduled class time.
The test will cover all material presented in the third part of the semester. You will be
responsible for ALL class notes, in-class exercises, videos, class handouts, and the textbook.
You will have the entire class to complete the exam.
This review sheet has four sections:
(I) Exam Format
(II) Key Issues for Each Topic/Chapter
(III) Sample Questions
(IV) 10 Tips for Doing Well on the Exam
I. EXAM FORMAT
The exam will consist of the following:
• Answer 20 multiple choice questions worth 5 points each (100 points total)
• Answer 10 true/false questions worth 4 points each (40 points total)
• Choose 3 out of 5 short answer/identification questions worth 20 points each (60
****There are a total of 200 points possible on the exam.
II. KEY ISSUES FOR EACH TOPIC/CHAPTER
Below I highlight the key issues for each topic/chapter. You are responsible for ALL material in
the book and from lecture, but make sure to pay particular attention to these issues. To be clear,
this is not an exhaustive list of topics for the exam.
• Performance Management (Chapter 8)
o Definitions for performance management and performance appraisal
o Three purposes of performance management
o Sources of performance appraisal
o Three major types of measurement methods
o Appraisal problems and errors
o Providing feedback
o Criteria for effective performance management
• Employee Development (Chapter 9)
o Definition and key aspects of employee development
o Goal orientation
o Career development
o Four parts of employee development
o Development-related challenges
• Compensation (Chapter 11)
o Decisions about pay
o Key issues in developing a pay structure
o Fairness and pay satisfaction
o Job evaluation
• Employee Benefits (Chapter 13)
o Cost of providing benefits and where money is spent
o Benefits required by law
o Optional benefits
o Communicating benefits to employees
III. SAMPLE QUESTIONS
The exam consists of multiple choice, true/false, and short answer. Sample questions are
provided below. They are provided so that you can see the general type of multiple choice, short
answer, and essay questions that will be on the exam. The only questions that will appear directly
on the test are the short answer questions. You will have to choose three out of five short answer
questions, but all of the possible questions on the exam are listed below. To be clear, it is
unlikely that the multiple choice and essay sample questions will appear directly on the exam,
but the short answer questions will consist only of the questions provided below.
Multiple Choice Sample Questions
1. “The processes used to identify, encourage, measure, evaluate, improve, and reward employee
performance,” is the definition for which of the following terms?
A. Job evaluation
B. Performance management
C. 360 degree feedback
D. Performance appraisal
2. Gilbert is sitting outside of his office manager’s door waiting for his performance appraisal.
He is excited to get the feedback because he knows the information he receives will help him to
grow and to improve. Gilbert likely has a ___________________ goal orientation.
3. The Hay Guide-Chart Profile Method of job evaluation creates a profile for each position
based on all of the following EXCEPT for __________________.
C. Problem solving
True/False Sample Questions
1. When people experience an unfair situation in terms of pay, they react negatively no
matter what, even if their employer provides a reasonable explanation.
Short Answer Sample Questions
1. What is 360 degree feedback? Name at least three different people that could be
involved? Is it an effective approach?
2. Name and describe three types of rating errors in performance management.
3. Define the traditional and protean career paths. Briefly describe three aspects of the
4. Name and describe the four parts of the career management process.
5. Name and describe the four major approaches to employee development.
6. Name and describe the two types of economic forces that impact the development of a
7. Name and describe three important things established by the Fair Labor Standards Act of
8. Define job evaluation. Name and describe the three major parts of the Hay Guide-Chart
9. Name and describe three types of benefits required by law.
10. Name and describe the four types of defined contributions plans.
IV. 10 TIPS FOR DOING WELL ON THE EXAM
1. Many students think the material in this class is intuitive and comes across as “common
sense.” This can be a trap when studying for an exam on this topic, particularly one with
short answer and essay questions. Make sure you can both “recognize” the key terms and
also “recall” them.
2. If something is covered in the book that I did not mention in lecture, it is still fair game
for the exam.
3. Take note of the various exercises we do in class and know why they are important.
4. Read and highlight the book before each class.
5. Begin studying for the exam about one week before it is scheduled by going over your
highlights and lecture notes.
6. The exam will be about 20% only from the textbook, 20% only from lecture, and 60%
that overlaps. So, if you either do not come to class or do not read the book, it will be
hard to get more than 80% on the exam.
7. Look over the summary at the end of each section in the textbook.
8. Use the online resources provided on the textbook web site: http://highered.mcgraw-
9. Know all of the bold terms in the text.
10. Memorize all lists provided in lecture or the textbook.