• Like
Strategic Technology Management
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Strategic Technology Management

  • 640 views
Uploaded on

 

More in: Business , Technology
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
640
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0

Actions

Shares
Downloads
11
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. SYLLABUS Department and Course No: Technology Management 620, CRN 4538 Title: Technology Planning Credit: 3 Credit Hours Locations: Huntington - Science Building 166 South Charleston - GC 134 Dates & Times: Mondays, 4:00 to 6:20 PM Instructor: Peter J. Dailey Telephone: 304.421.1472 E-mail: dailey29@marshall.edu Include “TM620” in the subject line of any electronic communication. Office hours by appointment. Required Texts: David, F. Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases, 11/E, Prentice Hall 2007 816 pp cloth ISBN-10: 0131869493 ISBN-13: 9780131869493 Recommended Reading: Betz, F. Strategic Technology Management. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1993. Shilling, M, Strategic Management of Technological Innovation, 2nd edition, New York University, McGraw-Hill, ISBN-13 9780073210582 Course Objectives: To understand and apply 1. Key questions and detailed steps and processes involved in strategic planning. 2. Strategic thinking in management of technology and continuous evaluation of strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities faced by the organization. 3. Life cycles of technology within technical organizations and the need for innovation and creativity within the organization. 4. Management of interfaces among corporate, marketing, production, and technology strategies. 5. Fundamentals, techniques and utility of technology forecasting for planning. 6. Technical skills for technology evaluation and selection. TM 620 Fall 2007 1
  • 2. Team Project Teams of 2-3 students will identify, organize, execute, and report on a major Team Project as described below: Contact local organizations (business, not-for-profit, academic, or governmental) to find one that will allow your team to assist in developing a strategic plan for the organization. Working with the organization, apply the tools and techniques learned in the course to develop a strategic plan for the organization. Status reports (10 min.) on this effort will be required throughout the semester. A final Team written report will be due in the next-to-last class and a formal Oral Presentation will be made at the last class. Each team will present its final report to the class and be prepared to answer questions. Although some time is scheduled during class for the project, the scope of the project will very likely require team meetings outside of class time. The project grade will be based as follows: Quality of the finished plan (70%) - Heavily weighted by the likelihood the plan will be used - Including writing and organization of the report Team organization and performance (30%) - Including quality of oral presentation Since Team organization and performance will be an element of the grade, a record of team meetings should be recorded and submitted as an appendix to the final written report. Each student will be required to evaluate the participation and contribution of each team member at the end of the course. This evaluation will be a part of each person’s project grade. Mid-term Exam The mid-term exam will be a take-home test requiring significant time and effort. Homework During the semester, problems and case studies will be assigned. These assignments are to be completed and turned in by the due date shown on the syllabus or as assigned by the instructor. Late assignments will be accepted, however a 10% per day penalty will be deducted. If you are going to be absent from any class, check with your team members or on Vista to obtain and upload any pending assignments. TM 620 Fall 2007 2
  • 3. All case studies will require a one to two page1 written summary that will be submitted not later than the due date. Case studies will be presented by project team, with each team member experiencing an opportunity to present one case study. Class Contribution Class contribution includes attendance, preparedness, participation, meaningful questions, experiences, and personal examples to enhance learning opportunities. Be prepared to discuss the material, especially the case studies; it’s part of your course grade. Attendance Policy Attendance is expected. A portion of the course grade is based on class contribution, and you cannot contribute if you are not in class. Excessive absences will result in a lower grade. You must be present for the Team Project Final Presentation. Students are responsible for material covered in class whether present or not. Plagiarism All work submitted under your name is assumed to be your work product. If it is discovered that another wrote the work submitted by an individual or team, or if material is copied without proper attribution, the instructor will record a grade of E for the course. Cutting and pasting from web sites is considered plagiarism unless proper attribution is given. Entire pages of content cannot be attributed to someone else with the author receiving credit for original work. Cutting and pasting is detectable forensically. Grading Policy Final Grade for the course will be calculated as follows: Major Team Project 400 points = 40% 3 status reports @ 50 pts. each 1 final presentation @ 100 pts 1 report @ 150 pts. Mid-term Exam 20% Homework 250 points = 25% 7 case studies @ 25 pts. each 1 Regression homework @ 25 pts. Case study presentation @ 50 pts Class Contribution 15 sessions x 10 points = 15% Numerical and letter grades correspond as follows: 100 ≤ A ≤ 90 < B ≤ 80 <C ≤ 70 < F 1 Page: 12 point, proportional typeface; 1.5 spacing; 0.5 in margins TM 620 Fall 2007 3
  • 4. TM 620 Technology Planning Fall 2007 Schedule Class Readings/ Topics Date Assignments David Chapter 1 and Session 1 Introductions & Course Administrative Information “How to Prepare and August 20 The Nature of Strategic Management Present a Case Analysis” Session 2 The Vision and Mission August 27 David Chapter 2 Teams formed, Projects identified Session 3 The External Assessment David Chapter 3 September 3 Session 4 Project Proposal Presentations, all Teams David Chapter 4 September 10 The Internal Assessment David Chapters 5 Session 5 Strategy Types Case Study: Harley September 17 Davidson Session 6 David Chapters 6 Strategy Analysis September 24 Case Study: eBay Project Status Reports Session 7 Strategic Management Wrap-up Written report & October 1 Test preparation presentations Take-home Mid-Term Exam Distributed Burgelman Session 8 Technology Strategies Reading II-15 October 8 Take-home Mid-Term Examination due Case II-16 TM 620 Fall 2007 4
  • 5. Class Readings/ Topics Date Assignments Burgelman Session 9 Technology Maturation & Technology Substitution Reading II-9 October 15 Case II-11 Burgelman Session 10 Readings III-1, III-2 October 22 Technology Inside the Firm Case III-1 Burgelman Session 11 Technology Outside the Firm Reading III-5 October 29 Case III-3 Project Status Reports Regression Session 12 Homework November 5 Technology Forecasting Handout Burgelman Case III-10 Session 13 Selecting Programs and Managing Risk November 12 Regression Homework due November 19 Thanksgiving Holiday, No Class Burgelman Session 14 Selecting a Technology Strategy Readings IV-5, V-2 November 26 Team Final Project Written Reports due Case IV-6 Session 15 Final Project Presentations December 3 TM 620 Fall 2007 5