During this PowerPoint Presentation you will work on:
By the end of this presentation, you will be able to
* Wide your vocabulary about the house and home furniture.
* Express existence and nonexistence.
* Use appropriately the English demonstrative adjectives.
You will constantly read what you have to do.
Click on the links and enter to the different rooms in a house.
Then, click on the objects in the rooms, see and listen to their
Exercise 1: Write the names of the rooms. (send it by e-mail)
Exercise 2: Write the names of the objects. (send it by e-mail)
Exercise 3: Write the appropriate word to complete the
sentence –House vocabulary. (send it by e-mail)
Example: I wash my hands in the sink.
1. There are many books in the ________________.
2. My clothes is in the ____________________.
3. The lamp is on the_____________________.
4. I want to take a shower. I go to the ___________.
5. My mother cook the meal in the _____________.
6. It’s very dark in here, turn on the ___________.
7. There is a beautiful ______________on the wall.
8. I want to watch a program on the ___________.
9. The rug is on the ____________.
10. I’m sleepy. I go to my _______________.
We use “There is / There are” to say that
something exists (or does not exist).
Use “There is” for singular nouns.
Use “There are” for plural nouns.
There is a student in the classroom. There are two students in the classroom.
There is a book on the table.
There are nine books on the table.
The negative form of this structure
is “There isn’t / There aren’t”
There isn’t juice in the glass.
There isn’t a computer on the desk.
There aren`t children in the park.
The interrogative form of this
structure is “Is there / Are there”
Is there a computer on the desk?
Yes, there is.
Is there a book on the desk?
No, there isn’t.
Are there four chairs at the dining room table?
Yes, there are.
Are there people at the dining room table?
No, there aren’t.
Exercise 4: Write positive, negative and interrogative
sentences to describe this room -10 sentences. (send it by e-mail)
Example: There is a lamp .
There isn’t a radio.
Is there a ball? Yes, there is.
Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, has
a $53,392,200 house in Medina, Washington.
In his house there are seven bedrooms, twenty
four bathrooms and six kitchens. There is a
huge library and even a movie theater. The
security system includes cameras and sensors
in the floor. The house computer system
automatically turns on music when you enter a
Exercise 5: Answer the following questions
based on the previous text. (Send it by email).
Example: How many bedrooms are there?
There are seven bedrooms.
Is there a movie theater?
Yes, there is.
1. How many bathrooms are there?
2. How many kitchens are there?
3. Is there a library?
4. Is there a computer system?
5. Are there cameras?
“THIS” is used to point at
something near you -SINGULAR
“THAT” is used to point at
something far from you -SINGULAR
That is my book.
This is my book.
“THESE” is used to point at
something near you -PLURAL
“THOSE” is used to point at
something far from you -PLURAL
Those are my books.
These are my books.
Exercise 6: Based on the images, complete the sentences
with “this, that, these, those” (send it by email).
Click on the link below and pass the cursor over the images. You will
read and listen to weather vocabulary
Exercise 7: Write the names of the weather images. (send it by e-mail)
Exercise 8: Write the answer of the next question based on the
images. (send it by e-mail)
What’s the weather like?
Example: It’s stormy.
Exercise 9: Complete the sentences below and write the
appropriate word to complete the sentence –Weather
vocabulary. (send it by e-mail)
Example: The sun is shining! Today is sunny.
1. When there is both sun and rain you can see the _________.
2. I can hear the sound of __________.
3. We can’t see anything. It’s __________.
4. It’s snowy! Let’s make a __________.
5. It’s rainy! Take an ___________.
6. It’s August. This is a __________ month.
7. Put warm clothes on! It’s very __________.
8. There are many gray __________ in the sky.
9. People like skiing when it’s ____________.
10. It’s so ___________ in here! Please turn the fan on.
• Food: Delicious, tasty, tasteless, sweet, salty.
The typical food is delicious.
• People: Friendly, unfriendly, nice, funny, serious.
The people in Colombia are very friendly.
• Weather: Hot, cold, warm, sunny, rainy.
Bogotá is very cold and rainy.
• Transport: cheap, expensive, fast, slow, crowded
The mega-bus is very fast.
Pereira is a beautiful city; there are many cheap hotels
in the downtown. This is an interesting, nice and fun
city. There are very beautiful women in Pereira. You
can play different sports in different places and you
can go shopping in different malls in downtown. In this
city there are a lot of good restaurants, I really like it.
Pereira is warm and sunny .You can go to the zoo and
see different kinds of animals. The people in Pereira
are very nice, friendly and outgoing. I really like
Exercise 10: Describe one city of Colombia you know. (Include the
aspects exposed and send it by e-mail)
If you have a question
about the exercises,
please e-mail me.