1. Authorship:Why Claiming yourIdentity Matters…SMX Toronto 2013
2. Our Session TOC…• Google’s Official Position Basics• Google’s Patents on AuthorShip & AuthorRank• Microsoft & Yahoo are in as well• Google+ and AuthorShip• The Benefits of AuthorShip• AuthorShip Bonuses• AuthorShip Conclusions• The Future of AuthorShip & AuthorRank• Credits…
3. The Official Google Basics…• This is all about Authorship and it’s impact on SEO and Social Media too…• To begin, let’s look at the various search engine patents and pull out what I think are the “best factors” they divulge about that ranking functionality from same… http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py? hl=en&answer=1140194
4. “Google Might Rank User GeneratedWeb Content in Google + and OtherSocial Networks!” …by Bill Slawski, seobythesea.com the Patent Whisperer http://www.seobythesea.com/2011/07/how-google-might-rank-user-generated-web-con
5. Agent Rank!Google Patent: US 2007/0033168 A1Filing date: Aug 8, 2005“this technique ranks authors in social mediasystems through a combination of statisticaltechniques that leverage usage metrics, and socialand topical graph characteristics. In variousexemplary embodiments, the technique can rankauthor authority …”http://www.google.com/patents/US20070033168
6. Method and Apparatus for Rating User Generated Content in Search Results!Google Patent: US 2011/0196860 A1Filing date: Apr 19, 2011“a method and apparatus provides for rating usergenerated content (UGC) with respect to searchengine results…thereby generating a rating factorfor the UGC field based on the document goodnessfactor, the author rank and the location rank…”http://www.google.com/patents/US20090271391
7. Ranking Authors in Social Media Systems!Microsoft Patent: US 2012/0117059Filing date: Nov 9, 2010“the technique can rank author authority by thefollowing: 1) temporal analysis of link sharing inwhich authority is computed based on a userspropensity to provide early links to web pagesthat subsequently become popular; 2) topicalauthority based on the authors links and contentupdates in specific topic areas too…”http://www.google.com/patents/US20120117059
8. Method and Apparatus for Rating User Generated in Search ResultsYahoo Patent: US 2009/0271391Filing date: Apr 29, 2008“The method and apparatus thereby generates arating factor for the UGC field based on thedocument goodness factor, the author rank andthe location rank…to output a search result thatincludes the UGC data field positioned in thesearch results based on the rating factor…“Patent Filings here…
9. Patent Take Aways? All Search Engines have patents on using social media of one type or another to create “identifiable” content authors…and will rank sites based on that AuthorShip…http://www.seo-theory.com/2013/02/06/seo-myths-about-authorship-and-author-rank/
10. So What?http://www.seo-theory.com/2013/02/06/seo-myths-about-authorship-and-author-rank/
11. “Within search results, information tied to verifiedonline profiles will be ranked higher than contentwithout such verification, which will result in mostusers naturally clicking on the top (verified) results.The true cost of remaining anonymous, then, might beirrelevance...” …Eric Schmidt, ex-Googler NYTimes Book Review 2013
13. Traffic!“Want at least a Boost in Traffic?Then Use this Idiot-Proof Guide to GoogleAuthorship Markup…” …by Neil Patel, KISSmetrics.com http://www.quicksprout.com/?s=authorship
14. Click-thrus!“And don’t forget – Authorship tacticsbring at least a 35% increase up to a400% increase in click-thrus too…” …by Neil Patel, KISSmetrics.com http://www.quicksprout.com/2012/09/17/author-rank-a-step-by-step-guide-to-dominat
15. So...isn’t EVERYONE using AuthorShip then?Not even close…Most online SEMtypes are NOT usingit yet!Let’s look at that…http://www.catalystsearchmarketing.com
16. Only 9% of Tech Blogs use Authorship!This is somewhat shocking it is known to increasethe click thru rates from the Google search resultsto the web site!Even moreshockingIs that 3%werent’ ableto “do” it!http://www.conductor.com/blog/2012/08/how-9-out-of-10-tech-sites-could-improve-the
17. Google Authorship Adoption Among Social Media Influentials!“Adoption of Google Authorship among thesehighly-influential people on social media wassurprisingly low.Only 15 of the 50 influentials (30%) have set up anAuthorship connection…” by Mark Traphagen, Virante.comhttp://www.virante.org/blog/https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=wX#communities/104474428845467390263
18. Benefits OfAuthorship
19. Authorship Creates Your Brand!1]. You create your own personal brand…that willlet all searchers know who you are…and that you ata minimum have spoken/written on the topicthey’ve just searched for….
20. You Now Don’t Have to Be #1…2]. Used to be thatyou need to be #1to get click-thrusand traction…but no more!
21. And You Can Track Authorship Click-thrus!3]. In GWT > Labs > AuthorStats you can see yourown metrics…. * Can you tell when I was away?
22. Google Provides A Hidden Benefit!4]. After a web search and at least 90 seconds…Google will display an extra 3 listings for averified Authorship content creator…
23. Authorship is Valued by Google+5]. Another way that Google Authorship is soimportant is the fact that it allows you to build up areputation in particular areas of knowledge…Much like rival social network Facebook, Google+logs verified information about you…This influences which search results you receive aswell as how trusted certain websites are to bothyou as a user & search engines too…
24. SEO Benefits of Authorship!6]. When an author gets a relatively good amountof social notice and web traffic, the writer obtainsan “Author Ranking” with Google Authorship. Thiscreates a ranking system to boost the content eachwriter creates…As Brian Clark, founder and CEO of Copyblogger,said, “Author Rank has the potential to be thebiggest algorithmic signal for the SEO since thehyperlink itself…”
25. BONUS: Use Plus Mentioning!• The ability to plus mention someone in a post in a comment by typing a + sign and then immediately typing the person’s name.• Once posted, the plus mention becomes a link to that person’s profile, but also generates a notification to the person mentioned with a link to the post!• This is a GREAT way to build AuthorRank rep!
26. BONUS: Do +1 Clicks Affect Search Results?• +1 helps people discover relevant content—a website, a Google search result —from the people they already know and trust…• The +1 button appears on Google search, on websites and on ads too!• So the content that you create – will gain +1 clicks…and help your AuthorRank increase...
27. BONUS: The AuthorCrawler App!• Created by Tom Anthony of Distilled…• Helps the SEO community to use Googles authorship markup to harvest data about links…• Uses the seomoz API to sort your backlinks by the social standing of the authors of those links! http://www.tomanthony.co.uk/tools/author-crawler/
28. CONCLUSION: The Future of Authorship is AuthorRank!AuthorRank is defined by Google as…“The identity of individual agents responsible forcontent can be used to influence searchratings…” It’s coming…. Are you ready?
29. AuthorRank Take Aways:• Find your own channel to be an Authority!• Write often in that channel and remember to deploy it across all social media apps…• USE Google+ and the +1 buttons daily to help Google realize that YUP – you’re an Authority!• Find other channel influentials and take a role in their own online reputation building too!
30. AuthorRank Take Away Links…Econsultancy – is AuthorRank a Myth?Seo.moz – What AuthorRank is?AJ Kohn – Reading May Influence AuthorRankEconsultancy – Are you prepared for AuthorRankCopyBlogger – Why Hunter S Thompson…DuctTape – When Authors rule the WebSocialThoughts – AuthorShip & Identity…AJ Kohn – A Seminal AuthorRank Study…
31. Credits…Jim Rudnick -- MCSD • CEO KKT INTERACTIVE • a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer • more than 17 years of SEO experience • with more than 25 years of web experience • have worked for NY Yankees, PEP Boys, GE, The Disney Company, Canada Life, Mercedes, SAAB, Reuters and Quaker State Oil… • built more than 400 sites…have run more than 100 SEO Campaigns over past decades… • we build sites that have had millions of hits come up on the first page in search engines and more than that – we build sites that generate new business for our clients day after day!!! • we blog about Canadian SEO at www.canuckseo.com too!