Caribbean Youth, Global Change Agents Valuable lessons learned along the way!
OUR DEEPEST FEAR Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us, It is in everyone. As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, Our presence automatically liberates others. -Marianne Williamson
1. DARE TO DREAM Dream BIG! Ignite your passion Create a Vision Board or write it down
2. REALISE YOUR GOALS Set your goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound) Share your ambitions with any and everyone Get advice from people that have already been there, done that Baby steps…
3. SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND Research Google is your best friend, use it! Always take time to read posters and emails Look for opportunities everywhere you go Create the space for yourself
4. EDUCATE YOURSELF Read, read read! Attend short courses, meetings and conferences in your area of interest Subscribe to newsletters Purchase X for dummies and have a go! Get the certification More important than reading… WRITE!
5. GET THINGS DONE Allow yourself to be excellent at what you do Lend an extra hand where help is needed Be known as someone that gets the job done Keep a record of everything you have done and regularly update your CV Ask for letters of recommendation
6. MAKE USE OF RESOURCES Social Media (Facebook, blogs, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.) The Community (family, friends, school etc) Your God given talents
7. EMBRACE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM “When receiving correction, the wise seeks to learn and the fool seeks to justify with excuses.” Kevin Everett Fitz Maurice No one is perfect! Growth and change are inevitable Ask for feedback on your work and actively try to incorporate valid points made in your approach
8. NETWORK Go out and meet people! Join/Build a network Link the networks together You are your biggest PR agent!!!
9. EXPLORE OPTIONS Volunteer Intern Join a Group Part-Time Work Exchange programmes Start a venture HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!!
10. STAY MOTIVATED Remain true to yourself Surround yourself with people that inspire you Take up hobbies that keep you grounded Smile