Welcome to the Dojo!
Who am I?
• LynnMyrick, aka
● Your name
● What you do (at work)
● A random factoid about
● I really like to do DIY and
will be painting my
bathroom during my holiday
Why are communications so
• We all communicate every day, in many ways:
verbally, non-verbally (body language),
electronically (e-mail, social media etc.)
• David McClelland's work in 1973 showed us that
intelligence alone does not predict success! We
need other skills too.
• Dan Goleman's work has demonstrated the
importance of Emotional Intelligence, including
communication skills, in achieving success.
What does it mean?
What does it mean?
A form or
to teach a
• Gladwell et. al. 10 yrs or
practice to achieve expert
• But practice must:
– be focussed
– be goal-directed
– stretch your abilities
– give continuous feedback
– be followed by self-reflection
3 zones model of learning
• We respect each
– Please no phones, e-mail,
Facebook . . .
– Everyone participates
– Feedback must be respectful
– Relax, we're all here for
the same reason!
• People work in small groups
• We present the scenario to be
• Each cycle is a pomodoro (25
• When time is up: 5 -10 min break
to share results with a nearby
team and reflect
What tools do we
● Facial expressions
● Body language
● Cultural knowledge
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
• All types are equal – it's not “better” to be
one or another
• We each adjust our approach to fit the
circumstance, particularly at work
• We seek out “like-minded” people
• This is a tool, one of many, to help you both
understand yourself and communicate
effectively with people who are different
than you. Use it wisely.
• Katas 1 and 2: Figure
out a new Team
• Kata 3: Team's choice!
Kata: Determine MBTI of
Task: Get into groups and organise
yourselves into “team members” and
“new team member”:
●New team member has just joined, and the
team members are getting to know them
●Talk for five minutes, then team members
state their impression of the MBTI of the
new team member
●New team member shares their actual
MBTI with group
●Discuss, and rotate round if time