• Paul wrote of this honor.
• “If I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for
necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not
preach the gospel!” (1 Cor 9:16).
• “We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the
excellence of the power may be of God and not of us”
(2 Cor 4:7).
• These are the last recorded words of Paul.
• “O, but they say the tongues of dying men enforce
attention like a deep harmony: Where words are scarce
they are seldom spent in vain, for they breathe their
words in pain” (Richard II).
• You can learn much about a man by what he says in
his last hours.
• Paul commissions Timothy “before God and the
Lord Jesus Christ.”
• Preaching is important because Jesus will judge the
living and the dead.
• Preaching is important because of Jesus’ appearing.
• Preaching is important because Jesus has a kingdom.
• “Preach the word!”
• Great preachers through the ages have done this.
• God put His words in Jeremiah’s mouth (Jer 1:9).
• Micaiah said, “As the LORD lives, whatever the LORD
says to me, that I will speak” (1 Ki 22:14).
• “I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood
of all men. For I have not shunned to declare to you the
whole counsel of God” (Acts 20:26-27).
• He’s to do it “in season and out of season.”
• He’s to convince.
• He’s to rebuke (2 Tim 2:24-25).
• He’s to exhort, encourage.
• He’s not to fail in patience or teaching.