• We don’t really know who this Nathanaelis.• There are several scholars who equate himwith Matthew, and others equate him withBartholomew.• However, only John mentions Nathanael, andit’s possible, therefore, that he was a disciple,but not an apostle.• Jesus had many disciples who were not apostles.• “When it was day, He called His disciples to Himself;and from them He chose twelve whom He alsonamed apostles” (Lk 6:13).• “After these things the Lord appointed seventyothers also, and sent them two by two before Hisface into every city and place where He Himself wasabout to go” (Lk 10:1).• But, Nathanael teaches us much.
NATHANAEL WASBROUGHT TO JESUS BY AFRIENDvv 43-45
• Jesus found Philip and said to him,“Follow Me.”• Philip found Nathaniel and told him, “Wehave found Him of whom Moses in thelaw, and also the prophets, wrote--Jesusof Nazareth, the son of Joseph,” v 45.
• Church Growth Center in Monrovia, CA onwhy people attend church.• 48.2% attend through the influence of afriend.• 14.8 attend through the influence of arelative.• 6.5% attend through the influence of thepreacher.
NATHANAEL WASPREJUDICEDv 46
• We need to be careful that we are notprejudiced.• Prejudice is a sin.• “I charge you before God and the Lord JesusChrist and the elect angels that you observethese things without prejudice, doing nothingwith partiality” (1 Tim 5:21).• “If you really fulfill the royal law according tothe Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor asyourself,’ you do well; but if you showpartiality, you commit sin, and are convictedby the law as transgressors” (Js 2:8-9).
NATHANAEL WASWITHOUT GUILEv 47
• The mention of a true Israelite in whomthere is no deceit is certainly a wordplayon Israel.• “Your brother came with deceit and has takenaway your blessing” (Gen 27:35).• “What have you done, that you have trickedme and driven away my daughters likecaptives of the sword?” (Gen 31:26, ESV).
• Scripture exhorts us to be without guile.• “Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit foundin His mouth” (1 Pet 2:22).• “In their mouth was found no deceit, for theyare without fault before the throne of God”(Rev 14:5).
NATHANAEL CONFESSEDJESUSvv 48-49
• Confession is necessary for salvation.• “Whoever confesses Me before men, him Iwill also confess before My Father who is inheaven. But whoever denies Me before men,him I will also deny before My Father who isin heaven” (Matt 10:32-33).• “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold oneternal life, to which you were also called andhave confessed the good confession in thepresence of many witnesses” (1 Tim 6:12).
• Jesus promised Nathanael would seegreat things: (v 51).• “Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, inthe fourth month, on the fifth day of themonth, as I was among the captives by theRiver Chebar, that the heavens were openedand I saw visions of God” (Ezek 1:1).• “He dreamed, and behold, a ladder was setup on the earth, and its top reached toheaven; and there the angels of God wereascending and descending on it” (Gen 28:12).• Thus, Jesus becomes the true Israelitewho reveals the will of God to nation ofIsrael.
WE KNOW VERY LITTLEABOUT NATHANAEL.But, he was a disciple of Jesus!
THE WORLD KNOWSLITTLE OF YOU.Will you be a disciple of Jesus?