Moses demonstrated kindness to the daughters of the priest of Midian. Therefore, the priest of Midian showed great kindness to Moses. In this sermon, we look at the principle that kindness begets
Moses demonstrated kindness to the daughters of the priest of Midian. Therefore, the priest of Midian showed great kindness to Moses. In this sermon, we look at the principle that kindness begets kindness.
Moses commits this act of kindness
shortly after he committed murder.
Why spend time discussing kindness?
◦ “Whoever compels you to go one mile, go
with him two. Give to him who asks you,
and from him who wants to borrow from
you do not turn away” (Matt 5:41-42).
◦ “Whatever you want men to do to you, do
also to them, for this is the Law and the
Prophets” (Matt 7:12).
In the ancient world, wells were
◦ Gen 29:1-2.
◦ “Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus
therefore, being wearied from His journey,
sat thus by the well” (Jn 4:6).
Seven daughters of the priest of Midian
came to draw water for their father’s
Moses defends the women and waters
God expects His people to be kind.
◦ “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not
envy; love does not parade itself, is not
puffed up” (1 Cor 13:4).
◦ “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted,
forgiving one another, just as God in Christ
forgave you” (Eph 4:32).
◦ “As the elect of God, holy and beloved, put
on tender mercies, kindness, humility,
meekness, longsuffering” (Col 3:12).
Reuel was surprised to find his
daughters return so quickly.
◦ They said, “An Egyptian delivered us from
the hand of the shepherds, and he also
drew enough water for us and watered the
Moses benefited from this kindness.
◦ Reuel told his girls to go back and invite
Moses home for supper.
◦ Moses stayed with Reuel, was given his
daughter in marriage, and had a son.
God rewards for kindness, too.
◦ “Whoever gives one of these little ones only
a cup of cold water in the name of a
disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by
no means lose his reward” (Matt 10:42).
◦ “Love your enemies, do good, and lend,
hoping for nothing in return; and your
reward will be great, and you will be sons of
the Most High. For He is kind to the
unthankful and evil” (Lk 6:35).
◦ We know “that whatever good anyone does,
he will receive the same from the Lord,
whether he is a slave or free” (Eph 6:8).