Had someone contact me just yesterday on Twitter about expanding a unit….Twitter is huge.
MEDIA BISTRO:98 percent of recruiters used social media for sourcing quality hires in 2012, up from 94 percent in 2011, with LinkedIn (97 percent of respondents) far and away the preferred platform of choice, ahead of Facebook (51 percent) and Twitter (49 percent).
*Always go to events – not just journalism ones either, the more people you know the bigger network you have and the better stories you have*There is nothing like meeting someone in person – online is great but in person is the way to go!
If you are in towns you want to work in, ask to meet them. Works best when not looking, get on their radar
1. THE JOB HUNT:HOW WE LANDED COOLGIGS’It’s challenging to find a job, not to mention a job injournalism. But it can happen if you become proactiveand prepare with these tips
2. Lynn WalshInvestigative producer at WPTV in West PalmBeach, Florida.Head of SPJ Generation J Committee@LWalsh
3. NOW WHAT???
4. 1. Create anAmazing Resume
5. WRITING EXPERIENCE Real Simple, Time Inc., Copywriter Women’s national magazine, New York, N.Y., 2/11 – Present · Writes copy for monthly print and digital advertorials, promos, eblasts, events, video scripts and products.EDUCATION · Edits and fact-checks copy and design for several magazineM.A. English (Creative Writing), pages per month.University of Rhode Island, 2009 · Collaborates with designers in creative studio to conceptualizeB.A. Theater, University of Texas and execute layouts and high-impact spreads for print.at Austin, 2001 · Writes social media posts for Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.B.S. Radio-TV-Film, University ofTexas at Austin, 2001 Newport Mercury, Contributing Entertainment Writer Weekly entertainment newsmagazine, Newport, R.I., 9/10 – PresentRELATED EXPERIENCE · Writes one to three monthly features about entertainment, arts,Heart Truth Red Dress Fashion pop culture, fashion, theater, music and books on tight deadlines.Show, Celebrity Assistant, · Interviews high-profile celebrities, including notables fromNew York, N.Y., 2/11 & 2/12 American Idol, Project Runway, Lost, SNL and The Office.Roger Williams University,Public Affairs Specialist, NewportPatch.com, Online Writer and ColumnistBristol, R.I., 7/07 – 8/08 AOL-owned news website, Newport, R.I., 9/10 – 12/10 · Wrote event/fashion news and photographed street fashion.Newport International Film · Posted stories and photo galleries using the site’s CMS.Festival, Travel Director,Newport, R.I., 5/07 – 6/07 Newport Mercury, Senior Staff WriterBambino International English Weekly entertainment newsmagazine, Newport, R.I., 1/09 – 9/10School, English Teacher, · Wrote two to three features and news stories per week aboutFujisawa, Japan, 10/05 – 3/07 entertainment, fashion, beauty, music, film, community and arts.KXAN-TV, Traffic Assistant, NBC, · Reviewed Rhode Island theater as the paper’s lead theater critic.Austin, Texas, 7/03 – 12/03 · Performed associate editor duties: proofed galleys, edited and fact-checked freelancer stories and coordinated photo shoots.Texas Association of · Pulled merchandise, wrote credits and styled fashion shoots.Broadcasters, Administrative,Austin, Texas, 10/02 – 7/03 · Posted stories and photos on NewportRI.com.Mandalay Sports Rhode Island Home & Design, Contributing WriterEntertainment, Administrative, Monthly magazine, Providence, R.I., 12/08 – 9/11Los Angeles, Calif., 8/01 – 11/01 · Wrote monthly features about home, décor and travel.Mandalay Pictures, Intern,Hollywood, Calif., 5/00 – 8/00 Corpus Christi Caller-Times, Features Reporter Daily newspaper, Corpus Christi, Texas, 5/04 – 3/05AFFILIATIONS · Wrote a weekly column about antiques, weekly “Sunday Homes”Society of Professional cover stories and health articles for monthly “Mi Vida” magazine.Journalists, Generation J · Wrote a range of entertainment features and breaking news.Committee, 3/09 – Present · Won “Best Teamwork in the Newsroom” award.NY Press Club, 9/11 – Present The Daily Texan, Entertainment ReporterSPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS UT-Austin daily newspaper, Austin, Texas, 5/02 – 1/03“Newbie in the Newsroom,” · Reviewed Austin’s theater scene, concerts and films.College Media AssociationConference, NYC, 3/12 Texas Civil Engineer Magazine, Editor/Communications Coordinator Quarterly association publication, Austin, Texas, 5/02 – 9/02“College Journalists: 14 Things · Edited, designed layout, managed production and wrote news.To Do Before You Graduate,”Salve Regina University, WFAA-TV “Good Morning Texas!” Studio InternNewport, R.I., 11/11 Live morning show for ABC affiliate, Dallas, Texas, 5/98 – 8/98 · Wrote script copy and researched topics for live segments.SKILLSPhotoshop, WordPress, SocialMedia, CMS, SEO, Basic HTML, Freelance Credits: Military Spouse, Quill, SO Rhode Island, SouthVideo, Slideshows, Mac, County Independent, The Tusculum Review, South Kingstown Patch.On-Camera, Google Analytics, Edited a full-length novel.Studied Spanish & French. New York, N.Y. 817-657-9176 @trendyjenny email@example.com jennifernicolesullivan.com
6. Please, No Nic Cage Photos…
7. 2. Create an Amazing Online Portfolio
10. 3. Get LinkedIn
11. 4. Print Business Cards
12. 5. MaintainProfessional Social Media Accounts
13. 6. Google Yourself(and have someone Google you)