Complete the following Gas Law Problems. Use any resources from class and show all
work on a separate sheet of paper.
1. What is the pressure of a gas if you compressed the gas from its original 500 mL at 3.4 torr
to a volume of 302 mL?
2. At what temperature will a gas be at if you allow it to expand from an original 456 mL at 65
°C to 3.4 L?
3. You have a gas at 453 mm Hg with a volume of 700 mL and a temperature of 25 °C, what
will the temperature of the gas be, if you change the pressure to 278 mm Hg and a volume
of 1200 mL?
4. If a sample of a gas occupies 6.8 L at 327°C, what will be its volume at 27°C if the pressure
does not change?
5. What is the temperature of the gas inside a 750 mL balloon filled with 25g of H2 gas if the
pressure of the balloon is 1.2 atm.
6. A toy balloon has an internal pressure of 1.05 atm and a volume of 5.0 L. If the temperature
where the balloon is released is 200 C, what will happen to the volume when the balloon
rises to an altitude where the pressure is 0.65 atm and the temperature is –150 C?
7. A small research submarine with a volume of 1.2 x 105 L has an internal pressure of 1.0 atm
and an internal temperature of 150 C. If the submarine descends to a depth where the
pressure is 150 atm and the temperature is 30 C, what will the volume of the gas inside be if
the hull of the submarine breaks?
8. How many moles of gas does it take to occupy 120 liters at a pressure of 2.3 atmospheres
and a temperature of 340K?
For each question below, write increases, decreases, or stays the same.
_______________________ 1. The room temperature increases from 20 ºC to 24 ºC. What
happens to the pressure inside a closed cylinder of oxygen contained in
_______________________ 2. What happens to the pressure of the gas in an inflated
expandable balloon if the temperature is increased?
_______________________ 3. An aerosol can of air freshener is sprayed into a room. What
happens to the pressure of the gas after it leaves the can, if its
temperature stays constant?
_______________________ 4. Some food is sealed in a plastic bag and placed in the
refrigerator. What happens to the volume of the air in the bag?
_______________________ 5. What happens to the pressure of a gas in an incandescent
light bulb, a few minutes after the light is turned on?