* EN 102* Section 1136 *WELCOME*August 29,2012 WEDS 6:15-9:15 CLASS ONE
* Agenda: Syllabus * Expectations: Out of class Work * Expectations: In class Work * In class behavior * Class room exercise* Class Two: Assignment and Readings*Details
* Email: email@example.com * * 616-459-4103 * Expect a 24 hour turnaround in Non- Emergency situations* Leave your name, number, and the nature of your question* Writing: 70% of total grade / 4 MAJORS * Journals: 8 total : 500 points *Syllabus: Details
* Participation: 20% Discussion Board * Group / Self-Assessment: 10% * 715 total points overall: 215 + 500* 195 total (15 points X 13 weeks of Discussion Board) * 20 points for Assessment * Check Syllabus for “Participation Rubric” *Syllabus Details
* Outcomes: Active engagement w/ writing* Active reading: analyze, evaluate, appreciate * Formal Writing: MLA formatting and depth of research * 5 pages for each MAJOR (= 1,250 words) * 625 for each Journal (2 ½ pages) * TOTAL 10,000 words (40 pages) *Syllabus Details
* Course Policies: Academic Integrity * Assignments: Turned in on Blackboard * Due by deadlines (No makeups)* Attendance: No “excused”/ “unexcused” absences * GRCC Student Handbook available at: * www. Grcc.edu/handbook *Syllabus Details
* How do you work best? At what time of the day are you less distracted?* Set realistic goals: 2-4 hour stretches are better than one 7-9 hour episode. Expect 5 hours worth of work.* Get in the mood: use headphones to filter out noise. What environment suits good work?* Have a snack during a break: take a 20 minute walk, stretch out, make a phone call.* Try to stick to days / blocks of time that work best. *Out Of Class Work
* Groups / Peer to Peer * Time in class for: Research,* Writing, Reading, and Discussion * In Class Exercises * Revision *In Class Work
* Laptops WELCOME! * Cellphones/Texting are NOT!* Use of Laptops for exercises, writing, research * Limits: During discussion or Group, Laptops should be closed, and off. * If it becomes apparent there is a distraction from class, you may be asked to not bring your computer to class. *In Class Behavior
* Come up and grab one card of any color: find the three other people who have the same color and get into that group. * NEXT: Ask one member of your group the following questions: * Name, age, field of study * Where do you see yourself in 5 years? * Who is a hero to you , and why? Name 5 attributes as to why this person is a hero. *Group Exercise
* Read chapters 1-4 in Composition of Everyday* pages 2-119. NEXT: Choose one chapter, and choose one essay you relate to. Using the “Ideas for Writing”, answer the questions for that particular essay.* THEN: Write a 275 word essay on your experience, developing it from your answers to the “Ideas for Writing” and other parts of the chapter. Total word count:625 (2 ½ pages) *Class Two: Journal 1
* In the spirit of “Dark Knight Rises”, enjoy this Calvin and Hobbes rewrite…..
* If you get stuck, help is available in anumber of ways: one, email or phone mein a timely manner, or contact IT for tech problems… 234-3123, or online at grcc.edu/sthd
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.