2. Principles for SpiritualGrowth The main reason for bible study is Transformation not just information. How I receive the Word determines my response to the Word. My responses are shown in my daily actions and activities.
3. Why we read the Bible In every command and in every promise of the word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulﬁlled and the promise realized. He who by faith receives the word is receiving the very life and character of God. Christ’s Object Lessons, 38
4. Key TextSo Philip ran to him, and heard himreading the prophet Isaiah, and said,“Do you understand what you arereading?” 31 And he said, “How can I,unless someone guides me?” And heasked Philip to come up and sit withhim. Acts 8:30-31
5. Five things that will help you getthe most out of your bible study 1. Knowing how to ask the right kind of questions. 2. Writing down what you have observed. 3. Remembering the goal is application for transformation. 4. Keeping in mind that the bible must be studied systematically. 5. Knowing you will never exhaust the riches of any one passage.
6. Preparation for Bible Study 1. Schedule time for bible study. This is not devotional time.
7. But there is but little beneﬁt derivedfrom a hasty reading of the Scriptures.One may read the whole Bible through,and yet fail to see its beauty orcomprehend its deep and hidden meaning.One passage studied until itssigniﬁcance is clear to the mind, and itsrelation to the plan of salvation isevident, is of more value than theperusal of many chapters with nodeﬁnite purpose in view and no positiveinstruction gained. Steps to Christ, 90
8. Preparation for Bible Study 2. Keep a record on paper or electronically. Paper remembers people forget. Some insights don’t stay.
9. Preparation for Bible Study 3. Get the right tools A Study Bible - Preferably a modern translation New International Version, New King James Version, New American Standard Bible
10. Study Bible Reccomendations NIV Study Bible Thompson Chian Reference Bible Andrews Study Bible
11. Tools, Continued A bible concordance - This is is a bible index of words. Strongs Exaustive Concordance
12. Tools, Continued A bible dictionary or handbook - This tool explains many of the words, topics, customs and traditions of the bible along with historical, geographical and cultural information. Bakers Bible Handbook
13. There must be careful research andprayerful reﬂection. And such studywill be richly repaid. As the minerdiscovers veins of precious metalconcealed beneath the surface of theearth, so will he who perseveringlysearches the word of God as for hidtreasure, ﬁnd truths of the greatestvalue, which are concealed from theview of the careless seeker. Steps toChrist, 90
14. Preparation for Bible Study 4. Spend time in prayer Ask for cleansing Ask for guidence
15. Principle for spiritualGrowth #3 My approach to bible study should be an investment of my time, attention and money. What God provides will always exceed what I invest.
16. I Will Dig Deeper By Making a investment in my bible study. reading Steps to Christ, chapter 10. Making a list of times God has exceded my investement in Him.