1. War of the worlds: Web or Native? Both!How Wikia is working on re-launching their mobile appsusing a well calibrated mix ofweb and native appdevelopment on both iOS andAndroid
2. Federico "Lox" Lucignano Senior Lead EngineerDzień dobry IxDA :) Mobile & API Team - Wikia, Inc. email@example.com
3. Wikia, Inc. San Francisco, CA Wikia Sp.z.o.o., PoznańWho we are: Wikia www.wikia.com
4. www.wikia.com/Mobile firstname.lastname@example.orgWho we are: Mobile & API team email@example.com
5. www.wikia.com/Mobile firstname.lastname@example.orgWho we are: Mobile & API team (for real) email@example.com
6. www.wikia.com/Mobile/Wikiamobile www.wikia.com/Mobile/LyricWikiWhat do we do www.wikia.com/Mobile/GameGuides
7. www.wikia.com/Mobile/Wikiamobile www.wikia.com/Mobile/LyricWikiWhat do we do www.wikia.com/Mobile/GameGuides
8. The Mobile Nation is at war... actually it has always been ...
9. WWI: Fixed vs Mobile
10. 1 - 0 for Mobile
11. WWII: Smart vs Feature
12. Episode III: Phones wars
13. Lets keep the ball trolling rolling...
14. Web started from a privilegedIn the beginning there was no position, but apps have been growing fastclear winner...
15. But "app" nowadays doesnt... but after a while apps took mean just "native", what about "hybrid" solutions?control of the users time
16. Four degrees of hybrid-nessThe quest for the sweet spot in mobile development
17. First things first: what is "hybrid"?
18. What are the implications?
19. The limits ofLeaving in a golden cage hybrid solutions Hybrid
20. The three four great orders Web apps Hybrid - web Hybrid - mixed Native apps Device APIs Device APIsMobile Browser + + Device APIs + Native shell Native shell + Web + + Native code Web Web <=> Native
21. This graphics tries to cateogorize some popular appsWhat does XYZs app use? in one of the 4 categories
22. 5 is the answerHybrid app development @ Wikia
23. Native web The sweet spot of mobileBreaking out the limits development Native web
24. Introducing PontoThe fifth party github.com/wikiaapps/Ponto - Free (as in "free beer") - Open (as in "open source") - Secure (as in "sandbox") - 100% native, 100% web
26. What is the impactYeah... sure... on the user experience?
27. Dont do it just forThings to watch out for the LULz● Webviews are slow on older devices and OS versions, keep your JS/HTML/CSS light● Animations arent always smooth● Switching to a Webview in the app flow is not glitchless by default● JS failure in the Webview needs special care
28. Lets take a look at a realAnd now for something totally different world example Talk is cheap, SHOW ME THE DEMO!
29. From web to native...... and back to web
30. How native appsPayback time: put some app in your influence mobile web developmentmobile site
31. How keeping designers, mobileDivide & conquer? Unite and web developers and native app developers together results ininspire! a great UX● Animations and transitions● Gestures● Media as a first class citizen● Contextes● UI elements and paradigms● Typography● Simplicity and readability● Performance