On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Syntax iv subject-verb agreementPresentation Transcript
1. Subject + Verb= agree in number Lucien watches the cat Lynn and Emily watch the cat2. S1 + and + S2= plural verb The Syntax Class and the Literature class are leaving early today.3. Non-plural nouns + singular verb The news is interesting. Politics is a thorny topic.
4. Gerund + singular verb Gerund and Gerund+ plural verb Writing essays is complicated. Writing and proofreading essays are complicated tasks.5. Each / Every/ Any as adjectives+ singular verb Everything / Anything + singular verbs Each person solves problems differently. Anything goes in love and war. Everything needs to be ready.
6. All/ Almost all/ most/ some + subject / as a subject+ plural verb All my students are studying hard. Almost all of us agree with you. Most spend Christmas at home.7. Singular Sub1 + or + Singular Sub2 + singular verb A cat or a dog is a fine choice for a pet. but The cats or the dogs are fine domestic companions.
8. Singular subject + plural subject + plural verb Plural subject + singular subject + singular verb Lady Gaga’s song and Metallica’s songs are very popular. The erasers or the corrector fluid is a must in every student’s pencilcase.
9. Trace the verb to its subject: The complexity of these subjects is most intriguing . The amounts of carbon dioxide thrown into the air daily are alarming. The student, along with his parents, is ____ to come at 10 sharp. Carrie’s friends, and their respective are companions,___ welcome too.
10. Here/ There + verb depending on following noun. There exist different ways of studying. There are no more papers to check. Here is the picture of our trip.There are several types of meat in the market. ___ isHere ___, safe and sound, the book you wanted.
11. Expressions of time/money/distance/weight/measurement + singular verb Three thousand dollars is way too much! Two spoonfuls of sugar is not enough for me.12. A number of + pl. noun + plural verb The number of + pl. noun+ singular verb A number of bankers have complained. The number of complaining bankers is not too big, though.
12. Some of/A lot of/ Three-quarters of + noun + verb Some of the work is finished. Three-quarters of the audience has left. A lot of forgeries are sold around here.