Torrelaguna located in the Middle Valley of Jarama. Uceda belonged to until 1390, (King Juan I of Castile granted its independence) Rise of the town at the time of Cardinal Cisneros (late XV and XVI century) Carlos III in 1749 granted the status of a municipality. Part of the town was destroyed by the French (War of Independence, 1808) Construction of the Canal de Isabel II in the XIX century. Declared a Historical Site in 1973.
IGLESIA DE SANTA MARÍA MAGDALENA Built between the XV until the first quarter of the XVII, was conducted in five phases: The header, the ships and the closure of the vaults, the main facade, the tower, the choir and the south portal, and finally, the Chapel of the Annunciation and the Chapel of San Felipe. There is buried Juan de Mena it was a writer of the XV.
THE TOWN HALL It was founded by Cardinal Cisneros in 1514 to serve as a store of grain for times of scarcity. Its construction included some Gothic elements as the gateway. The building, rectangular and gable roof, original remains only the arcaded front.
LA ERMITA DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA SOLEDAD La Ermita de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, was built in the XIV century and was shrine, known as the Vera Cruz. It is of gothic and baroque styles. It was during the XVIII when it became a chapel-shrine of the patron saint of the town.
MURALLA-THE ARCH OF BURGOS The wall was built in several stages advantage some kind of defensive system and was completed in early medieval early XV. Its construction system is similar, a part made of masonry stone and other masonry taped. The wall remained intact until at least XVII century. Were perhaps the ravages of the War of Independence.
PALACES AND STREETS Place de la Montera Place house There are other buildings that should be mentioned. Among them, the houses or mansions located on the Cava street, built in the XVII and XIX, and still maintain elements of its former glory. On the Street Cisneros, also called tailors, shields and façade are preserved, and the Place de la Montera, large manor houses of the XVI and XVII.
CARDENAL CISNEROS Gonzalo Jiménez de Cisneros was born about 1436. From 1492 began to play important positions such as royal confessor and regent of Spain to the death of King Ferdinand. He died in Roa the 1517. Cisneros's contributions to the Villa were the tower and main entrance of the parish church, the foundation of a hospital etc… He wants to build a university but the citizens don’t want so he goes to Alcala de Henares and there he builded it.
Monasterio Franciscano de la Madre de Dios It was founded by Cardinal Cisneros to 1512. In the developed a major intellectual activity until its destruction during the War of Independence. Only a few remains are preserved in pretty bad shape, noting the restored steeple and part of closing of the church.
Dehesa de Valgallego Located in a natural setting on the road to La Cabrera, known for its holm, cork and oak in shady areas although this area has been used of value to the people for many centuries, in which the neighbors have nurtured and used for pasture and wood supply.
CANAL DE ISABEL II The beginning of the current channel is produced in 1851 with the construction of the dam Ponton de la Oliva
LODGINGS “ Posada del Camino Real.” “ Ábside de Santa María”.
Patron Saint : The festivities in honor of the Virgen de la Soledad are held the first weekend of September , and it is possible that its origin is related to the work in the fields. These celebrations include processions of the Virgen, fireworks , dancing and bullfights. Pilgrimage of Santa Maria de la Cabeza and S. Isidro Labrador: This procession is held in June and its origin back to the Middle Ages. Has been held this pilgrimage to the shrine of Mercy on the banks of river Jarama, place of worship of the marriage of San Isidro and Santa María de la Cabeza
The restaurant The Lost House is a centennial house recently restored and converted into a restaurant located in the town of Torrelaguna (Madrid), in a very careful and rustic. The Lost House restaurant has two separate rooms with fireplace and two gardens glass, with an approximate capacity of 60 people, where you can enjoy natural and land. The restaurant has also a careful cave cellar that can be visited. Typical food: Roast lamb in a wood oven.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.