Sinead O'connor, The Arklow project, Community Based Diagnostics
The Arklow Story a dedicated local GP
Sinead O’Connor, GM
Global Diagnostics Ireland
How it all started?
Local hospitals unable to manage the GP radiology
demand for x-ray & ultrasound services
Rapidly growing local population - 12% increase
between 1998 & 2002 & a further10% by 2006.
Excessive wait times for outpatient x-ray &
Excessive delays getting results back
GP’s referrals were lowest priority
Patients travelling long distances for services
HSE Initiative & Pilot Project
• A new x-ray & ultrasound service to be located
in the Arklow HSE Centre
• Direct access for 46 local GPs only
• Region: South Wicklow and North Wexford
• Free service for patients within their own
Defined Service Requirements
• An end to end radiology managed service
solution, including equipment, fit out,
infrastructure & staff
• Appointments offered within 48 hours of initial
• X-ray appointments available in 48 hours
• Ultrasound appointments available within 5
• Same day urgent appointments
• All exams reported within 48 hours
• 2 administrators
• 1.5 radiographers
• 1.5 sonographers
• Team of 11 consultant radiologists
Team behind the team - managing quality &
includes clinical audit & risk management. Feeds
into the larger Global clinical governance
Our Service Today
53,000 patients imaged in total since 2008
Average 8,000+ per annum
• All exams reported with 24 hours.
• Critical, urgent and clinically significant but un
expected result communication closed loop
• Radiologists accessible for follow –up &
questions on reports or follow up
• CHKS accredited service since 2011
How we measure our service?
Feedback from our GP’s on our Arklow Service
• 100% rated it as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Good’
• 97% responded that it positively affects initial
• 50% agree it leads to quicker treatment in the
case of an adverse result
• 27% responded that it prevents unnecessary
referrals to A&E.
• 97% agreed that urgent referrals are
appropriately managed by the service
• 76% agreed radiologists were available to
Over referral risk due to
40% of GPs surveyed felt that this was a risk
Year on year volumes show that this has not happened.
Numbers have remained stable even with the introduction of 6
new GPs over 5 years.
From little acorns……..
Arklow was Global Diagnostics 1st project
We now see over 160,000 patients per annum across 8
hospitals providing emergency and speciality radiology and
ophthalmology services to public and private healthcare
Sole radiology provider in 2 hospitals
National Healthcare Award Winner in 2012 for innovation in
quality service delivery within a hospital
Awarded NCSS national contract to deliver diabetic
retinopathy screening services & established Global Vision.
Latest new service started 2 weeks ago in Vista Medical
Imaging in Naas
Irish owed & operated - employs 81 staff
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.