1. Introduction to New Media and Interaction Design Valeria Gasik 2013
2. Topics• What is New Media?• Interaction Design Fundamentals• User-centered Design
3. In your opinion:What is New Media?
4. Several ways to describe it
5. New Media technologies are described as theones with the nature of digital interactivity.
6. Digital data
7. Data• Nesting vs linearity• Oversupply? A lot to process!• Designer’s role?• Growing in demand: ability to deal with complex systems and extract wisdom from the data
8. TechnologyTactus morphing smartphone
10. Digital divide
11. New ethics and laws
13. “There is a tremendous ability for individual users – – to make connections to one another in a way that might allow them to circumvent the conventions of institutional and closed opportunities.” Bailey Socha, Barbara Eber-Schmidhttp://www.newmedia.org/what-is-new-media.html
16. Social networks
17. Social events
18. Fun. “Jam with Chrome”
19. Evocation, self-expression
20. Mashups, memes
21. Interaction Design
22. There are many ways to approach a project
23. User-centered design One of the possible approaches• Focus on the user• Users as a guide of design• Designer translates user needs and goals
24. Interaction Design “...shaping digital things for people’s use”http://interaction-design.org/
25. Interaction DesignProcess of designing digital products,services, systems and environments• User’s needs and goals?• User’s abilities and limitations?• The structure and behavior of interactive a system?• Future challenges?
27. Personas Persona is a brief description of a user archetype• A focused act of designer’s empathetic role-play.• 2-5 personas (primary, secondary, supplementary)• Are composed from observation, interviews, etc.• Serve as a guide to the design process but do not substitute involving real users in the design process
28. “Personas, as documents, should work for designers theway scent works for memories of your childhood.”(Alan Cooper)
29. “Genshi genbutsu”– Go and see
30. Scenarios Scenarios describe likely interactions between types of users (personas) and the system• Consists of settings, actors, goals, actions, events and objects• Aims to mirror the real context and usage
31. ScenariosLaura has a 4-year old dog. In a week Laura isplanning to go on a vacation and is looking fora dog sitter.Laura opens a dog sitter site and looks for amap. She wants to ﬁnd someone trustful wholives nearby. Laura studies relevant resultsand sees Ulla’s proﬁle. Laura likes Ulla’sresume and decides to contact her.
32. User Stories Written sequences of actions and events that lead to an outcome• Good stories are standalone, short and testable• Bridge between users, designers and developers
33. User Stories“As a user, I want to ﬁnd reliable dog sitternear by so that I could contact her.”
34. User Stories“As a <role>, I want to <do what > so that Icould <beneﬁt how>.”
35. Thank you!
36. Reference suggestion• Putting people ﬁrst http://www.experientia.com• Usability and interface design books• Interaction Design http://interaction-design.org• Generic Work Process http://project.cmd.hro.nl/cmi/hci/toolkit• Personas and the role of documentation http://boxesandarrows.com/personas-and-the-role-of-design-documentation/• To watch... Everything is a remix, Social network (2010), Black Mirror (2011)