…to create digital properties
at the speed of Wordpress
the scale of Salesforce, with
the simplicity of Google.
Just over ﬁve years ago,
a customer asked me,
to give them the
Why What How
Why content architecture?
To enable digital and content agility.
• Train and tracks are tightly coupled systems that are highly efﬁcient.
• Cars and the road are loosely coupled systems the provide more ﬂexibility.
• Digital agility requires organisations to place more value on ﬂexibility.
• Companies must experiment, to learn, to optimise customer experience.
typical starting point
for digital transformations
ﬁrst step towards
intelligent processes Intelligent processes
has to be
Execute ‘that’ way
Plan ‘this’ way
Don't get set into one form.
Adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water.
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water.
Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup;
You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle;
You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow or it can crash.
Be water, my friend.
Bruce Lee:A Warrior’s Journey (2000)
Content Management Challenges
• More content through increased interactions
• Increased complexity through experimentation
• Fewer resources to manage more content
• Multiple channels along which content must ﬂow
• Vast amounts of content trapped within systems
• Rate of production is exponential
But we know…
• There’s a lack of awareness around what’s happening
• Serious organisational change hurdles
• Misplaced focused on technology to solve problems
• Both processes and people need to change
• Structured and meaningful content is on the rise
• Content is a strategic business asset
What is content architecture?
The time and place for continuous and collaborative content design.
Strategy Architecture Management
It’s where ‘design thinking’ for content takes place.
• The design phase for content management
• Create models for structured and meaningful content
• Deﬁne author experience for content creators
• Map value workﬂows from production to delivery
• Develop APIs to take content everywhere it needs to be
• Design a technical architecture to sustain content
Connecting Information to Content
Metadata, Taxonomy, Thesauri
Labelling, Navigation, Search
Content Inventories & Mapping
Content Models, Author Experience, Workﬂow
Structured, Reusable & Personalised Content
Content Administration, Asset Organisation
Role-Based Content, Permissions
Content Scale, Storage, Analytics
Mind The Gap
Change is your friend: Move like Neo!
You don’t need content to progress,
you need structure.
Mobile Layout Tablet Layout Desktop Layout
Fund GetFund(portfolio, fundName)
Text GetFundManager(portfolio, fundName)
content is accessible to the entire
content technology ecosystem,
but most importantly internally!
• From blobs to chunks.
• Break into parts
• Assemble into wholes
• Not all content lives in the
• Architecture shows where
content & data lives
Make space for content
architecture within your
Content architecture is
where content design
There is no clear cut set of
roles and responsibilities,
across strategy, architecture
and management. Who cares?
This is a maturing ﬁeld, so
let’s grow with it!
For more details: