Transcript of "Resumen proyecto living together inglés 10"
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP
Call for proposals JLS/FRC/2007
Specific transnational projects
Directorate-General Justice, Freedom, Security
TITLE: “Living Together: European Citizenship against Racism and
- Leader: Observatorio Español del Racismo y la Xenofobia (OBERAXE) –
Monitoring Centre of Racism and Xenophobia.
- Other: Casa Árabe, Movimiento contra la Intolerancia, Cruz Roja, CEPAIM y
Diputación de Barcelona.
- Rotterdam Erasmus University
- Centre Mot Racism.
- Ministry of Interior
- Finnish League and Human Rights
Project length: 18 months (December 2008 – June 2010)
The project is focussed on the following priorities of the call for proposal:
One of the aims of the program is:
to fight against racism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism and to promote a
better interfaith and intercultural understanding and improved tolerance
throughout the European Union;
In 2008 the EC will give priority to projects which aims are framed within the following
priority, among others:
Combating racism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism
supporting actions aimed at fighting traditional and new stereotypes whose
persistence or diffusion are at the roots of racist attitudes, speech,
discriminatory action and violent incidents;
encouraging initiatives aiming at fostering the divulgation at large of the
unsoundness of such stereotypes, as well as those aimed at fostering
mutual understanding between majority and minority populations;
Projects prepared by diverse teams that present projects aimed at developing
crosscommunity approaches will be prioritised.
To promote a European discourse of tolerance based in the generation of coexistence
and respect arguments, recognition of the difference and building a European
citizenship away from any kind of racism and xenophobia.
1. To identify and analyse prejudices, stereotypes and fears of the citizenship that
are generating racist and xenophobic discourses, and discriminatory actions,
identifying main “social believes” that are creating the legitimisation of racist
attitudes in different European countries.
2. To detect and collect discourses of tolerance, coexistence models and
mechanism that are being developed in different European countries with the
aim of getting to know diverse strategies in the fight against racism,
xenophobia and discrimination due to origin, and identify best practices that
promote the dialogue among different communities and sensibilities from a
3. To build a Decalogue of common arguments that, supported by a cognitive,
social and discursive dimension, could neutralise the racists and xenophobic
discourses and constitute a powerful tool for social agents as teachers, policy,
social leaders, professionals from mass media, etc…
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP Version: 1.7 | April 21st 2008 | Page 2 of 6
4. To generate a transnational mechanism of surveillance and reaction since to
new racist discourses.
1. Kick off phase (15/12/2008 – 30/01/2009)
2. Definition and design of common methodologies (1/02/2009 – 28/02/2009).
a. 1st transnational working meeting, where a common methodology
should be agreed on the following:
i. Focus groups (composition, structure, etc.…)
ii. Identification and collection of tools, models, discourses, etc…
related to the fight against racism, xenophobia and the
discrimination on the grounds of racial and ethnic origin.
iii. Forums/working round tables (composition, structure, etc…)
iv. Structure and initial proposal of foreseen documents.
v. Network of European Organisations (composition, structure,
3. Research, work-field (1/03/2009 – 30/06/2009)
a. Call for focus groups in Spain, Portugal, Finland and Sweden (at least 2
i. Identification of participants.
ii. Holding of the groups.
iii. Elaboration of conclusions report, imaginary.
b. Identification of discourses, initiatives, tools, models, etc… of tolerance
i. Definition of common criteria:
1. Discourses and arguments both political and from ONGs
working in the field.
2. Projects, initiatives in the fight against racism and
3. Models of coexistence, dialogue and citizenship
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP Version: 1.7 | April 21st 2008 | Page 3 of 6
ii. Design and elaboration of a common space where to include all
the collected information.
4. Proposals of common arguments of coexistence and respect, recognition of the
difference and building of a European citizenship (1/07/2009 – 30/11/2009)
a. Constitution and holding of 4 multidisciplinary expert Forums/round
tables in Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Finland. Particularly the cities
involved in the project will provide case studies and their specific
experience in how they have developed a tolerance and coexistence
i. Composition, structure and call (university, NGOs, national,
regional and local public authority, etc ...)
1. Experts Forum/round table for the development of
proposals aimed to public authorities (educative
institutions, public health, etc) in order to build
arguments and mechanisms to fight racist and
discriminatory attitudes and discourses.
2. Experts Forum/round table for the development of
proposals that could be used by NGOs to set up
awareness campaigns, arguments and mechanisms to
fight racist and discriminatory attitudes and discourses.
3. Experts Forum/round table for the development of
proposals aimed to mass media in order to avoid racist,
xenophobic and discriminatory attitudes and discourses.
4. Provide a conclusions report for every round table.
b. Holding of the second transnational working meeting.
c. Elaboration of a citizenship, tolerance and dialogue Decalogue built from
the forums/round tables conclusions.
5. Develop a surveillance and reaction transnational mechanism behind new racist
and discriminatory discourses (1/12/2009 – 15/06/2010)
a. Creation and constitution of a European organizations network adhered
to the Decalogue that will act as a transnational mechanism of
surveillance and reaction behind new racist and discriminatory
i. Network structure and composition.
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP Version: 1.7 | April 21st 2008 | Page 4 of 6
ii. Tools and coordination mechanism definition, surveillance and
reaction behind new racist discourses: early warning system.
iii. Tools and mechanisms definition in order to provide the
Decalogue dissemination and its use by the social agents in the
6. Evaluation, transferability and sustainability analysis and project closing
(15/05/2010 – 15/06/2010)
a. Final transnational conference.
b. Final external evaluation.
c. Final project report.
• Different participant countries NGOs and associations involved in the foreseen
activities during the project. Tools for their implication and participation
promotion: dissemination list, suggestions mailbox, forums.
• Focus groups holding - at least 2 per country (Spain, Portugal, Finland and
Sweden)– where discourses and citizens real imaginary appear.
• Initiatives, tools models, etc repository to fight racism, xenophobia and
discrimination on the grounds of ethic and racial ground: identified in
European countries end developed both in the public (national, regional or
local) as well as private area:
o Political and NGOs working in the subject discourses and arguments.
o Projects, initiatives.
o Coexistence, dialogue, citizenship participation, etc models.
• Constitution and holding of 4 multidisciplinary experts Forums/round tables
(university, NGOs, national, regional and local authorities, etc)
• Conclusions report for each round table (4 reports).
• Elaboration of a citizenship, tolerance and dialogue Decalogue built from the
forum conclusions. Available in the languages of the project (English, Spanish,
Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish and Finnish) both in paper and digital format
edition. The Decalogue will be also developed as audiovisual material in order
to be disseminated in digital format to the different involved agents.
• European organizations Network performed and started.
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP Version: 1.7 | April 21st 2008 | Page 5 of 6
• 2 transnational working meetings, one at the beginning of the project and the
other one in the middle.
• Final transnational conference.
• External final evaluation report of the project.
• Final execution report of the project.
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP Version: 1.7 | April 21st 2008 | Page 6 of 6