10 Inspirational Moments from Cal Newport
1. You build career capital by becoming world-class at a rare and valuable skill.
2. Career success is best achieved with the combination of Skills + Relationships + Work.
3. Adapt a craftsman mindset by being clear on what you're offering to the world that's rare and valuable.
4. What you do is much less important than how you do it.
5. Focused deliberate practice to hone a skill will quickly distinguish you from the crowd.
6. Passion is the byproduct of a career well developed.
7. Building a rare and valuable skill is hard work and requires you to continually stretch.
8. Skills trump passion in your quest for a meaningful work.
9. Compelling careers often have complex origins that reject the simple idea that all you have to do is follow your passion.
10. Think small and act big - become world-class at something and and focus on making a big impact.
Advice: Don't follow your passion; let it follow you in your quest to be valuable to the world.
Reflection: Do you know what a meaningful working life looks like?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.