The goal of this webinar is to provide an overview of the fundamental principles of preload, afterload, contractility and lusitropy (diastolic properties), how these are quantified on the pressure-volume diagram, and how they are affected in heart failure. Links are made to underlying properties of cardiac muscle and ventricular structure. After establishing basic concepts, it will be demonstrated how pressure-volume analysis can lead to a quantitative understanding of how heart and vasculature interact to determine stroke volume, cardiac output and blood pressure. The implications for understanding therapeutic effects will also be discussed.
- Preload, Afterload, Contractility and Lusitropy
- Cardiac Muscle and Ventricular Structure
- Understanding Heart-Vasculature Interactions
- PV Loops in Heart Failure
- Understanding Therapies and Their Effects on Cardiac Pump Performance