How do I know if I have ischemic heart disease?
• Discomfort in center of chest (uncomfortable pressure,
squeezing, fullness or pain) that lasts more than a few minutes,
or goes away and comes back
• Pain/discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or
• Shortness of breath
• Nausea/vomiting or cold sweats
How do I know if I have an arrhythmia ?
• Regular checkups with PCP
• Go for medical evaluation
• "heart fluttering" sensation
of skipping a beat
• If going on for long enough, can have dizziness,
fatigue, lightheadedness, fainting,
• shortness of breath, chest pain
How do I know if I have heart failure?
• Look for symptoms and go for medical evaluation
• Shortness of breath with exertion
• Swelling of the legs
• Waking up short of breath during the night
• Feeling less short of breath during the night if you
use several pillows to raise your head
What are risk factors for heart disease?
• Family history
• Overweight/obesity (BMI>24)
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Sedentary lifestyle
• Illicit drug use (cocaine, etc.)
How can I prevent heart disease?
• Keep your BP under 120/80mmHg.
• If you already have a diagnosis of high blood
pressure, keep BP under 130/80mmHg.
• Exercise regularly
• Follow a low-salt diet
• Go for regular visits with your PCP for BP and
How can we diagnose and treat
WHAT IS CARDIOVASCULAR
Nicholas R. Balaji, MD, FACC
INOVA MEDICAL GROUP
• Event Monitor
• EP study and Invasive
• Reflex mechanisms
• Vagal maneuvers
• Rhythm vs Rate Control
• Cardiac Ablations
• Thank you for coming
• For more information or to schedule an
• Dr. Maria Cristina-Castillo-Catoni 703.933.8111
• Dr. Nicholas Balaji 703.204.9301