1. Manthan Topic:
Solution to drinking water
crisis and sanitation issues.
A potential solution to one of the aggravating problems that is going to bite the society.
Submitted by:-Team leher (Nit Rourkela)
 RAJARANJAN SENAPATI
 NISHIT NISHIKANT
 SAMBEET SAMANTARAY
 RASHMI RANJAN BEHERA
 NIBEDIT NAHAK
2. This short slide depicts one of the potential solution to one of the most aggravating problems in larger mass of people in
the greatest democratic.
Percentage of population that gain access to drinking water in unimproved areas. An estimate from these statistics implies
a much poorer rate in the upcoming decades approximately (1-2 %) . More than 3.4 million people die each year from
water, sanitation, and hygiene-related causes. Nearly all deaths, 99 percent, occur in the developing world.
Year Urban(%) Rural (%) National(%)
1990 11 33 28
2000 7 21 18
2010 3 9 7
3. Smart card:Through Direct distribution System Smart card will be connected to Aadhar Card for direct
cash transfer of subsidies.That will be used at WDC for waiter withdrawal.
State Head Central Panel
Survey –The panchayats along
with govt. help will do a survey
regarding the water problems
and sanitation, and the working
of desalination plants if it
Awareness- People are made aware
of the benefits of good drinking
water, the family income ,and the
diseases from filthy water.
properly cleaned and
maintained and technicians
keep care of their
are kept in mind implemented
in an expedient manner with
proper officials at ease.
The water supply cycle
4. The whole concept revolves around the desalination plant.
The desalination process involves reverse osmosis technology and is the purest technology till date. It
desalinates the salty water and purifies the dirty water for 5 crore people approximately around 520 crore as per
Munjur Desalination Plant statistics.
 Water Distribution Centre:The purified water from the desalination plant is channelized through the block level
using the WDC. EachWDC has a capacity of serving an approximately a population of 5000.
 Block level Implementation is primarily
carried out using technicians at WDC,
surveys by panchayats and finally
Implementations by government
5. Water security Bill (a tentative budget)
Water Desalination cost = ₹ 0.19/lt.
For a family of an avg. 5 people , the cost per month = ₹ 82.50
Govt. will contribute ₹50 for each family.
Just a rupee for a day for an average family.
Smart card implementation-The govt. contribution will be directed to the
smart cards which they can swipe and collect water.The technicians can refill
the cards on monthly basis. It will cost around ₹ 272 crores to provide the
cards to each family.
Each technician will be in charge of fourWDC with vehicle allowance .The
salary including the cost of managers would amount to ₹900 crore /annum.
6. Sanitation issues and solutions.
▪ Simplified sewers need some space .It needs either backyard or front yard so this system can be feasible in rural
▪ Condominium means the cost per household is 45$ and for conventional it is $120
▪ MAINTAINANCE :-
▪ A grit and grease trap is provided which acts as a focus for sewage collection and also serves as a preventive
▪ Awareness among people not to discharge roof and yards to the sewage.
▪ For successful operation of a simplified sewerage scheme, there must be an effective partnership between the
community served and the sewerage authority (seeWatson, 1995). In particular, it is important that both parties
are clear about their duties and responsibilities .Vehicle-mounted water-jet units to clean the sewers.
Compost Plant :
This will decompose the wastes from garbage to composts & will be built by PPP(Public-Private Partnership).
▪ Installation of dustbin in markets &
▪ Well managed collection of garbage from
bins & composted.
▪ Developed by DRDO.
▪ Specific type of bacteria converts wastes into
▪ Proper collection of composts.
▪ The compost Generated by above waste will be stored & distributed properly.
Village Cleaner (VC)
▪ It is a crew of four people.They will cover a population of 20000 .They will be having a garbage collection
van for proper disposal of wastes to the compost plant.
8. Community meetings were organized by CAERN so that it could explain to the community how the system would work, and how
responsibilities for operation and maintenance were to be allocated between the community and CAERN.
9. Organizational setup
Sub divisional/Block level(person recruitment Depending upon no of blocks)
Village caretaker 1 person
State level Head
District level 1 head in each district
Country Level Committee
Reagional(e.g. Eastern , South etc) Regional head
• Salary & management
cost : 1500 crores per
• Infrastructure cost
Vehicle , Sewage,
Toilet & dustbin
10,000 crores per