Team Coordinator: Shivangi Johri
Team Members: Shivangi Tyagi, Nikita Jaiswal, Priyanka Sharma, Apoorva Rastogi
• Lack of proper and good governance
Due to lack of firm , independent and impartial the no. of cases in
subordinate courts increases.
• Lack of motivation towards legal education
In India students take law as their last option. There are only 60000-
70000 law graduates every year.
• Poor budgetary support for judiciary
It is one of the main reason for non implementation of judicial
reforms .India spends just 0.2 % of the GDP on judiciary.
• Low population to judge ratio
India’s population to judge ratio is one of the lowest in the world
with only 10 judges for every million of its population as compared
to about 150 judges for the same no. in Unite Nations and Britain.
In terms of the volume of work, it is estimated that
nearly 30 million cases are pending in the Court
system in India at any given point of time. The
average fresh filing every year varies between 15 to
18 million cases which figure is steadily on the rise.
The judicial system is the corner stone of India's democratic polity. But the
system is today mired in a variety of problems- both external and internal
which threaten to erode the credibility and utility of the judiciary.
No. of judges per 1 million citizens in various countries
Justice Reform System Proposal
• This system focused on
establishing a new model for
transparency of judicial system.
• This foundation outlines a plan for
reforming justice services to the
public so that our system is timely,
balanced, and responsive to the
needs of citizens.
• It presents innovative solutions
that allow us to begin work
immediately on meaningful
changes to the system within the
resources we currently have
available to us. It also presents
intended reforms that we know
are needed in our system if we are
to achieve our visionary goals.
• It present a number of short-term
and long-term steps that will
provide front-line operations and
services to the public in all areas of
• Organizing awareness camps for
general public, conferences ,visits
of foreign delegations, seminars
and training campaign for lawyers.
• Amendment proposals i.e.
committee can propose any
reforms needed in the current
• Establishment of helpline to
support general public .
Advantages over existing system
• Provides timely, balanced and
• Utilizing the potentials and skills of
passionate people of society.
• Encourages use of technical
advancements for better quality
evidences(eg. DNA tests, Narco
Tests etc) and faster access to
information(eg. Crime records,
An independent Judicial Commission empowered with investigation ,
prosecution, and scheme of amendments to reform our judicial system
JUSTICE REFORM SOCIETY
Chairman of Committee
[elected by other committee members]
IASs, IPSs, etc.
Structuring a Justice Reform Society including volunteers from society
to look in to judicial reforms and ensure timely justice
The system expects people to know their rights and assert
their claims according to the legally prescribed procedures.
Tasks of the Committee
• Assistance to citizens regarding law and legal technicalities.
• Retired Volunteers and management experts can form a jury to propose various amendments needed and give expert
advice on demanding cases.
• Up gradation of advocate’s knowledge by conducting case studies , seminars , symposiums, judicial visits, etc.
• Meetings with Chief justice of judicially strong countries.
• Incorporating private detective agencies for faster and unbiased investigations.
• Inculcating awareness and motivation among students towards excelling in law education.
• Utilizing technically groomed minds for making our system technically healthy.
• Launching passionate students for evidence collection.
• Judicial Insurance to ensure right to justice.
• Record proceedings of court .
• Statistical approach of experts.
• Widespread knowledge of Journalists and writers
• Professional competence of various fields yielding
accurate and sound solution
• Understanding psychology of general public and working
• Experience of retired personnel
• Zest , zeal and enthusiasm of youngsters
• Exploring information door to door
• Programming and technical skills for developing faster
software that can be used in speeding up the justice
• Using intelligence and accuracy of detectives
Errand of the committee and the expertise acquired from the society
This model supports the court proceedings at various stages in order to
ensure speedy and faster trials and court proceedings for timely justice.
Determination of issues
JudgmentArgumentsExamination of witnesses
Incorporating our reform society in court workflow process
1. The committee comprises of fervent young minds that can help in scrutinizing the whole case proceedings.
2. The technology may boost up the speed of trial through digitization of court notices and summons.
3. The committee along with police officials can instantaneously delve the issues at the rate of the knots.
4. The acquaintance and impetus of NGO activists and management experts can make the witnesses feel fortify.
5. The adjudicators of our committee can provide even handed arguments and help the prosecution process.
The various assets required for the implementation of the model
can be assembled through various sources :
Proposed sources of funding :
• Joint venture of public and private sector
• Sponsorships of high profile cases.
• Judicial Insurances f the citizens
• Judicial taxes according to income in the
long run when the system is successfully
INR 5 Cr
INR 2 Cr
INR 1 Cr
Functionalities of Committee
• Direct recruitment from various fields of
• Online Registration
• Regular Meetings of the committee
• Video conferencing
• Social Networking sites
• Good Planning
• Smartly Organizing
• Be Direct
• Regular Monitoring
• Database Management
• Infrastructure Maintenance
Our model will influence the judiciary system in order to bring positive and
significant modification to make it accountable to common people.
• Clear governance
• Common understanding
• Performance focus
• Integrated approaches
• Citizen focused services
• Efficient case management
• Early assistance to citizens
• Smart choices at initials
Statistics to show how much transparent, timely and balanced current judiciary is??
Matter Pending from
Disposed off during
Pending at the end of
Admission matters 40279 7263 8921 38438
Regular Hearing matters 29167 1100 727 29526
Total 69446 8363 9648 67964
Our model will face following challenges which can be extenuated with
Cost incurred in the model
Effective enactment can be done by making framework
adaptable to the altering demands of nation
Public awareness campaigns by NGO’s
Use of social media for publicizing legal issues
Providing helpline for support
Bridging the gap between government policies and
principle mission of the committee
Cost can be managed through
joint venture of public and private sector
Sponsorship of high profile cases
Though task is uphill but as it is said that where there is a will there is a way so hopefully
let it prove to be true in case of Indian judiciary.
Not a single solution can be a giant leap
Some immediate recommendations from our side to ensure opportune justice.
The existing court could
be made to function in
two shifts with the same
the services of retired
judges and judicial
officers reputed for their
integrity and ability,
which are physically and
mentally fit, it would
ease the situation
considerably and provide
immense relief to the
Computerized system for
keeping a catalogue of
pending cases and
automated library index
of its decisions to avoid
A computerized micro-
filming center for
maintenance of record
and a telex system
connecting the Supreme
Court with other Courts.
We need to upgrade
synergy among the
police making the
cheaper and people
A lot of
courts and the
from jails to
courts can be
saved if e-
All India Judicial
of India should
also examine the
creating an all
India Service for
judicial officers in
the same manner
as that of IAS and
IPS officers. It will
also attract talent
Some immediate recommendations from our side to ensure opportune justice.
We can also adapt the system of France judicial system
where positions of magistrates and prosecutors are
interchangeable that provides help in speedy
judgment. Through this system investigation can be
made faster and reliable if done under the supervision
of an independent judicial officer, The Judge of
Instructions, for the purpose of discovering truth
collects evidence .
Remedies for judicial prudence improvement
Certain amendments are required in the
punishments to lower down the crime rate.
Strict action against police and other officials
responsible for delayed proceedings.
Timely appointments of judges to fill vacant
No transfer of judges until the cases in which he
is engaged are solved.
Media should be a part of court proceedings to
There should be a mechanism of rewards and
punishments for judicial officers and judges
monitored by an internal or external body.
Judiciary is in dire need of speedy and effective reforms
“Delay means extra crime so we not
only want just but just in time
1. Paper on Lack of judicial accountability in India –Prashant Bhushan
2. A New Justice System for Families and Children: Report of the Family Justice Reform Working
Group to the Justice Review Task Force 2005
3. A Criminal Justice System for the 21st Century, (2012): CowperFinalReport.pdf
4. British Columbia Charge Assessment Review, (2012):
http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/public/justice-reform/CowperFinalReport.pdf (Schedule 11)
5. Making Justice Work: Improving Access and Outcomes for British Columbians, (2012)
6. White Paper on Justice Reform part two: A Timely, Balanced Justice System
7.Law and justice : a look at the role and performance of Indian judiciary by Prof. N.R. Madhava
8. ANNUAL REPORT 2007-2008 (Published by the Supreme Court of India)
11. Judicial Reforms in India –Author: Hazre, Arnab kumar & Debroy, Bibek
12. India Year Book- 2009 Ministry of Information and broadcasting, GOI