Oracle Business Accelerators
Fact or Fiction
Mogens Nørgaard & Debra Lilley
Miracle A/S & Fujitsu
The most comprehensive Oracle applications & technology content under one roof
• Mogens is a charismatic figure in the Oracle World.
• He started his company Miracle in 2000 along with a childhood friend, after
over 10 years with Oracle.
• A co-founder of www.oaktable.net , BARF
• He created WeDoNotUSe.com and is an Oracle ACE Director.
• His presentation style is sometimes contentious, often hilarious and always
challenges you to think about what you think you know, teaching you more.
• When he isn’t making us laugh he is busy with his other project, their own
Miracle micro brewery .
• Deputy Chair UKOUG Board of Directors
• Chair of Product Development Committee IOUC
• Oracle ACE Director, OCP & Master
• Principal Consultant Fujitsu Services
• Working with EBS since 9.4.1 (1996)
• Once was a Financials Consultant now Strategy & Education
• Oracle Magazine ‘ User Group Evangelist of the Year 2008’
Miracle A/S Fujitsu
Miracle A/S is thought of as Fujitsu is one of the world’s
one of the Denmark’s (and largest global IT providers, who
maybe even the world’s) design, build and operate IT
leading companies when is systems. We are the Fujitsu
comes to expertise on Oracle Practice, offering
database centric platforms. expertise in all three of these
We are mainly known for our processes through
ability to save systems and implementation, consulting,
databases where others delivery-and -support of Oracle
have had to give up, but of technology-and-applications,
course we do normal things and our global platinum Oracle
as well. partnership.
Why would a technical oracle partner move into E Business Suite,
and why would a Systems Implementer with 100+ functional
consultants adopt a policy of always using Oracle Business
Learn how this methodology gives you an EBS footprint tailored to your
industry quickly and without scope creep risk. This ensures that your
budget and project do not overrun and if you do have bigger needs,
this approach for a conference room pilot means you are working on
an instance that suits you, with your setup and data and not just
some generic demo system.
OBA according to Oracle
• Oracle Business Accelerators for Oracle E-Business Suite are powerful and
easy-to-use implementation solutions for new Oracle E-Business Suite
customers. Oracle Business Accelerators for new Oracle E-Business Suite
implementations are available from our approved partner channel or
through Oracle Consulting.
• Available in industry-specific versions for more than 20 industries, they
make the initial configuration of Oracle E-Business Suite simple, fast, and
predictable. Oracle Business Accelerators for Oracle E-Business Suite allow
companies the flexibility to select the accelerator offering that meets their
specific business or market requirements.
• Also Available for JDE, PeopleSoft and Siebel
The Sales Pitch
Oracle’s Midmarket Go-to-Market Initiative
What Does That Mean?
• Template Based Implementation = faster, more secure less errors
• Uses the same technological stack as the standard implementation of
the ERP system.
• Consultants must be certified in OBA
• Afterwards you can configure as per standard implementation
Why Fujitsu went into OBA?
• Very big Public Sector Market
• Can be too expensive for Local Government
• OBA could be the answer
OBA • DBA installs OBA environment (fully patched)
Standard Processes Only
Data Gathering Exercise Up Front (Workshop)
• Client told one off configuration – changes later CR*
• Enter data in Configuration Tool
• Review Configuration Tool Data
• Oracle create Configuration File
• Download Configuration File
• Run Configuration Across Instance
• OBA Post Install Steps
• Non OBA Post Install Steps
• Traditional Steps from now on
Miracle Case Study
• Nordic Ferry Services operates eight ferry
routes each year 4.8 million passengers.
• The company is legally organized as three
separate companies, which in its old ERP
system was difficult to handle. It was an
older version of Navision.
• At the same time wanted to also get
procurement management put into the
• Oracle, SAP or Microsoft ERP
• Oracle won on:
– Template Approach
– Miracle reputation
• Templates suited the part of the How did it go?
business, similar to other
companies. Apx. 80%
• In Nordic Ferry project business
differentiators such as Tax Free
Shopping not templated.
• Templates could however not be
used for integration with external
• On Time, on budget (30% less than
René Madsen, Miracle PM
Miracle A/S Summary
• Quick Structured Implementation
• Organization had poor business process, OBA gave them some,
e.g. Proper Purchasing
• Alignment of their Organization
• Consolidation of 19 old systems
• Money save went to fund BPEL integration of business critical
systems like retail and bookings
• Proper ERP system
Fujitsu Case Study
• Mid Size Public Sector Organisation
• Existing 11i EBS with customisation
• Reimplementation with OBA - 12.1 EBS
– Financial & Procurement
– Now Managed Service
• OBA not easier option, need really good consultants
• Need intensive ‘second opinion’ data entry review
• Strip out all Oracle Seeded Data
• Look at Apps seeded data
• Where bulk data can be loaded easily into application leave out of OBA in
• Get infrastructure in place and supported
• Need no less instances
• Get OBA project specific CSI (for support issues)
• Need strong Oracle relationship management
• When running load program get a prescription for valium
Fujitsu Change of Process
• Great in Sales cycle to show ‘what
• Use OBA for all projects (whatever
You can’t use
size) for CRP1 – get there quicker
• Keeps scope in check upgrades
• Keeps focus on implementation –
OBA Consultants must be….
• ‘Top drawer’ able to talk to CIO and end user
• Strong negotiation skills
• Understand Industry processes
• Experienced, need to know impact of actions – this is not for the
typical ‘train on the job’ partner
Passing the tests and exams is not enough!
• OBA is structured approach but not
alternative to good consultants
• Helps envision the solution
• Keeps project team focused
• Get going quickly
• Saves money