My background!• My teaching experience is from the program for education of CHILD CARE AND YOUTH WORK and from HEALTH WORK.
About the program for child care and youth work• contribute to organising and carrying out pedagogical programmes offered to children from 0 to 18 years of age.• shall promote fellowship and unity in an environment characterised by play, investigation and learning.• contribute to developing child and youth workers who act as role models with an awareness of the challenges faced by children
• arrange for workers who are able to adapt educational programmes to different age groups, functional levels and circumstances in life.• form a good basis for selecting purposeful working methods and stimulate comprehensive activities and an interest for nature and the environment.• contribute to developing the ability to communicate and interact with children, adolescents and parents and guardians.• contribute to developing multicultural understanding and promote equal opportunity and equality.
• arrange for varied work tasks in the different educational programmes offered to children and adolescents. Work can be done in different places, such as day-care institutions, schools, after-school activities and youth clubs, where children and adolescents spend their time.
About the program for health work• perform care and basic nursing for patients and users of health and social services.• contribute to covering the need for competent health workers who can meet patients, users and affected family members in a professional manner• contribute to societys need for health and care services in municipalities and in specialised health services.• contribute to educating health workers who can cooperate with other occupational groups, promote enjoyment, physical and mental health and see to user involvement and patient rights.
• develop the ability to meet people from numerous cultural backgrounds in different circumstances in life, with different ability levels and opportunities for communication.• contribute to developing professional workers who are able to show empathy and interact with people who have different needs for assistance.• observe and use knowledge about different kinds of illnesses, injuries and suffering, and to implement preventive or treatment measures within their own area of responsibility and competence.
• arrange for varied tasks in different areas of health and social services in municipalities and in specialised health services.
The students• lives mainly in this area.• age from 25 to 60 years.• mainly women, a few men takes part in the education.• very different background, some of them have left school early, some of them are coming from other countries, some of them have been in work for a long time, some of them are unemployed and some of them have part time jobs
• Adult people have different type of needs for their education, and it is very important to know something about the students culture, their values and previous experiences. Practical and theoretical approach to learning must be considered as equal and acknowledged.
Time schedule• Teaching is organized with only one day a week at school, so students must be working a lot on their own. Im reviewing the central theme from the curriculum and tutor students in relation to study at home. We also use IT in teaching the skills, and we communicate with students by mail.
Challenges• The challenge lies in the fact that students have diverse backgrounds, and for most of them it is a long time since they have studied.• They feel uncertain about the clear requirements.• Many of the students have little confidence.• Many of the students find it difficult to combine studies with family life and work.
• Not everyone has experience from the health and social skills, and lacks therefore the basic skills.• The students who are struggling most are those with a background from another country and another culture. These students are missing many concepts related to Norwegian society.• Some of them don’t speak Norwegian fluently. The Norwegian language is hard!
Who is it nessecarry to speak norwegian fluently?• An example, being able to express oneself orally and in writing in Health work involves reporting and informing others in a correct and purposeful manner. It also means being able to fill in forms and schedules, and prepare plans. Furthermore, it involves being able to communicate and arrange dialogues when meeting with patients, users, colleagues and affected family members and friends.
• To succeed with the tutorial, it is important to keep good contact with the students and conduct regular conversations about progression in training.
• I have to constantly make sure to give good and constructive feedback to them, to keep up the motivations.• This requires a lot of time and knowledge of the individuals assumptions.
• Good sense of humor;•• They have many different practical (and important ) experiences that they share with each other, and with me.
• My job is to tie these practical experiences with the theoretical knowledge of a whole, and make students safe, that their experiences and knowledge are important for themselves and for the community.
• But, when we succeed in this it is great experience for me to work with older students.• Thank you for listening