3. Android is a Linux-based operating system for
mobile devices such as smartphones and
It is developed by the Open Handset Alliance,
led by Google.
4. More about Android…
• Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto,
California, United States in October 2003
by Andy Rubin.
• Over 600,000 and more applications
available in Android Market.
• Open software platform for mobile
An activity represents a single screen with a
For example, an contacts application.
A service is a component that runs in the
background to perform long-running
– E.g. music player, network download etc…
16. Content Providers
• Enables sharing of data across
– E.g. address book, photo gallery
• Provides uniform APIs for:
– delete, update and insert.
• Content is represented by URI and MIME
17. Broadcast Receivers
• Components that respond to broadcast
• Way to respond to external notification or
• Apps can invent and broadcast their own
intent is an abstract description of an operation to
18. Development Tools
• Android SDK