Culture in general
“Culture is a set of values manifesting
through behaviour and ritual. [...] the
arts and other manifestations of human
intellectual achievement regarded
Creating a great corporate culture: http://www.startupblender.
… manifestations of human intellectual
achievement regarded collectively.
Imagine you are a foreigner in a random
country. People will start to ask:
● Where are you from?
● What do you usually eat?
● What are people common clothes?
● Are tacos like Taco Bell’s?
● Is it true the horses and sombreros?
● Hell Yeah! Virgin De Guadalupe & Red
Culture in a company
“It is pattern of basic assumptions and beliefs,
the learned behaviors, shared values and
norms that define the work in an organization”.
(Schein, E. 2006, Organizational Culture and
in a company
and its team
Define why we exist,
what we defend, and
what we pursue.
● Self Motivation.
● Team can be aware.
● Discipline emerges.
● Continuous improvement.
● Everybody acts like a leader.
● No one waits to be told what to do.
● All team members can “pick up the trash
when is on the floor”.
What are the 3 values that come to your mind
when somebody asks for Icalia Labs?
Can be a single value: Responsibility, Curiosity
Can be a phrase with context: Embrace and
Take 15 minutes after this session...
● For each value, there should be rituals
promoting and supporting them correctly.
● For example:
○ If a value is Collaboration, how are we promoting
teamwork between the projects, teams and
○ If a value is Fun, are we really having fun in our daily
activities? How can we get to that point?
The right team
● Team & Leaders are going to defend the
● A new member should be engaged with the
culture, and culture should accept him.
● In some places, all members need to accept
the entrance of a new one.
● Everybody should communicate with
● Beyond values in walls, people have values
in their mindset.
The team should form the culture DNA.
"You can’t motivate people, you can
only create a context in which people
Prepare for changes
Culture can change throughout
time as a company grows.
● How this can work on a remote team or
● Imagine people working in different
countries, with different customs, time
zones, and that have never seen each other
face to face.
● How can we remember all this things in a
simple and beautiful way? MANIFESTO.
Complexity in a culture