AWS RoadShow Manchester - Part 2 Liverpool FC Customer Presentation
Liverpool FC @ AWS
Michael Crowder, Systems and Development Manager
New LFC Online Store!
Hosted in AWS - July 2014!
Who are we?!
• Liverpool FC are one of the world’s most recognisable football clubs and have won the English
league 18 times and the European cup 5 times."
• The LFC Technology department look after around 100 club websites and systems. The most
popular of which deal with peak trafﬁc of around 1 million page impressions an hour."
• LFC Retail is a Omnichannel retail business which employs over 250 people
• We have six physical stores covering 30,000 sq ft of retailing space as well as a E-commerce,
Licensing and Trade Sales business.
• Last season sales of Liverpool FC merchandise was in excess of £100m globally. Footfall
through our official stores was over 2 million and we shipped over 200,000 parcels to 169
countries through our E-Commerce Store.
• Operations are serviced from our large Distribution Centre which is based in the North West.
• The current LFC online store can be found at http://store.liverpoolfc.com
What were we trying to do?!
• Host the new LFC Magento E-Commerce retail store in the same
environment as our main content site - liverpoolfc.com
• It was essential that the environment was fast, flexible and cost effective.
• As a retailer within a Football Club our traffic can be sporadic – it was
essential that the store could cope with planning and unexpected levels of
• As Magento is not a "cloud native" app, and makes some assumptions that
are more suited to a traditional on-premise environment it was essential
that infrastructure was carefully planned.
How we used AWS!
• Worked with Rippleffect (web build) and Bashton (hosting set up and support) to create a new
best of breed Magento store."
• Ensured the site could scale (up or out) to cope with peak demand times (kit launch)."
• Infrastructure highly available, spread across two data centres ('availability zones')
• AmaCloudFront used for static assets, providing better performance for overseas visitors
• Communication with on-premise ERP system via Amazon VPN
• Autoscaling web tier
• Production environment and staging environment in completely separate VPC ('Virtual Private
Cloud') to minimise 'blast radius' of problems in test
• Staging environment complete copy with lower spec instances to provide high level of
confidence in code testing
• In production, average response since go-live has been under 0.04 seconds
Beneﬁts of Cloud Hosting!
• It’s early days for the Retail store but so far things have been going very well."
• We have more experience with the main content site which has been on AWS since 2012.
Here we have found:"
• Our ability to scale for brief but signiﬁcant peaks is hugely cost effective."
• We can upgrade infrastructure without long leads times."
• We can play around. A new server can be launched instantly for a test, then removed as
soon as we are done."
• We can use other tools (Amazon CloudSearch for example) when they meet a business
• We have started using AWS for other LFC activities, including data storage and analysis."