A Jisc Perspective Of Impact And EvidencePresentation Transcript
A JISC perspective on
impact and evidence
The post-lunch graveyard special
• Manager of the JISC Monitoring Unit since
• Based at the University of Kent
• Previously in the web content delivery ﬁeld
in the commercial sector
Involved in the web since Oct 1993
• Originally focussed on performance
• Largely moving toward tracking usage and
• No longer have a survey function
I don’t have all
Portfolio Review, basic “cost per unit” ﬁgures
... but we’re not kids
JISC Strategy 2010-2012 p12
Why does JISC fund things?
JISC Strategy 2010-2012 p4
Helping JISC report impact and value
JISC Strategy 2010-2012 p6
We can’t measure everything the same way
Review and reﬂect
Build us a swing
A better swing?
More successful than expected
“Broken” or needing refresh?
Investment to meet full potential
We’re gonna need a bigger boat
“That’s too expensive...”
...you need to spend more”
Is it embedded?
How big is the audience?
Niche service = higher penetration rate
• We want to reuse (synthesise) not recycle
• Types of individuals are key (names and
institutions less so)
• They need to be online
• Demonstrate novelty, why they are
essential (or critical)
• ... but we’re still working on it
Value for money