Be the first to like this
• Transpacific Waste Management has an application before Council to expand its New Chum Dump (between Collingwood Park and Riverview) site from 50,000 tonnes a year to 1.9 million tonnes by 2021
• This includes building materials, asbestos, contaminated soil, prohibited waste, toxic chemicals, waste and pollution, potentially seeping into the aquifers, creeks and Brisbane River.
• Vehicle movements will be in the proximity of 800 truck loads of rubbish a day
• This will be the Southern Hemisphere’s largest Dump - Of Queensland’s 4 Million Tonnes of waste, 2.5M will be dumped here
• The application was made on the 29/07/2011and no effort was made to notify residents directly by the Council or State member at that stage. State Government Legislation allows for the expansion
• In NSW, Tasmania, the EU or USA this would be illegal – as too close to residents homes due to potential health risks
• This expansion means that the largest landfill site in the Southern Hemisphere, containing some of the most dangerous and toxic chemicals and substances in the country, will be 200m from residents' homes and very close to four schools: St Peter Claver , Woodlinks SS, Collingwood Park SS and Riverview SS.
• Beyond the long term health risks, you can expect your property prices to plummet to all time lows
• No environmental health scan has been commissioned to study impact on local wildlife
• Even if the Ipswich Council vote against the application, Transpacific Waste can apply to the court for this to be over-turned
• The State Government will receive $3Billion in waste levies from the expansion
• Ipswich will receive 0.001% of this