Stakeholder platforms to guide N2Africa business clusters in Tanzania
Stakeholder platforms to guide N2Africa
business clusters in Tanzania
Frederick P. Baijukya, Country Coordinator, Tanzania
Context and background
N2Africa is putting nitrogen fixation to work
for smallholder farmers in Africa through
expanding the area, improving productivity
and profitability of grain legumes and their
The entry point is enabling input and outputs
market along the product value chain.
- There exist several stakeholders working
to improve production and productivity of
- Existence of interest groups on specific
legumes (e.g. soybean growers
association, bean growers association,
- formalized business clusters for different
types of grain legumes (soybean,
- Existence of stakeholders with new many
Some envisaged challenges:
- Vast geographical coverage making it
difficult and costly to bring key
- Element of competition between
- Poor established input output markets for
N2Africa in Tanzania is in process to establish stakeholder
platforms to facilitate and coordinate dissemination of
The country team is looking for skills and advice on:
- How to constitute and facilitate platforms.
- How to keep interests of members of platforms.
- tools and approaches for M&E of platforms
Current and future
N2Africa phase II (2014-2018)
. Institutionalization: forging
partnerships for research in legume
agronomy and rhizobiology.
. Sustainability: forging partnership
for development to:
- Validate promising technologies.
- Understand variability.
- Enhance development partners
to out-scale best technologies.
- Conduct M& E with
Frederick P. Baijukya
email@example.com ● Tanzania.
Prepared for a capacity development workshop of the
CGIAR Research Program on Humidtropics, Nairobi, 29 April – 2 May 2014
This document is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution –Non commercial-
Share Alike 3.0 Unported License April 2014
April- May 2014
N2Africa action areas and priority crops
N2Africa phase I (2009-2013) focused on:
• Proof of concept that yields and nitrogen
fixed by legumes depend on the
(GL x GR) x E x M, where:
GL = legume genotype, GR = rhizobial
strain, E = environment and M =
• Moving to scale
2009 2010 2011 2012
Total 0 17,055 80,301 208,925