An Orientation to the
2009 ICPSR Official
What do you mean by a “virtual
• Due to economic challenges facing our
members, ICPSR won’t be hosting a “physical”
OR Meeting in Ann Arbor in 2009.
• Instead, ICPSR will broadcast our typical
sessions through webinar technology.
• In addition, you as attendees will have
opportunities to network and communicate
with each other using bulletin boards (powered
by blogging software) and other social media
How will the webinar sessions work?
• ICPSR will broadcast its sessions using
• Attendees watch the sessions and ask
questions from their own computers.
What is GoToWebinar?
• GoToWebinar (GTW) is one of several companies
who offer webinar technology.
• We chose GTW because:
– It does not require attendees to download any
software to their computers to participate.
– It allows for up to 1,000 attendees per
– It easily records the session for posting
shortly after the session ends. (In fact,
you’re watching a recorded GTW file right
GoToWebinar Attendee Interface
1. Viewer Window 2. Control Panel
Networking & Communications
• Found on the Discussions & Networking page
• Post your questions/comments – no account
• Several boards with specific/directed topics
• Follow ICPSR on Facebook & Twitter
• Several updates posted as the meeting
• Post your comments here also
Other Virtual Meeting Components
• Be one of the first 200 to “register” for the
meeting and receive a headset for your
computer and updated promotional materials for
your institution – see the Registration page.
• A live Help Desk attended by ICPSR staff will be
available during the live broadcast periods.
• The meeting is FREE and open to the public!
– We encourage all ORs/DRs to attend
– We encourage you to share the session information
with your campus communities
– We encourage non-members who are considering
membership to take this opportunity to “experience”
“See” you in October!
ICPSR 2009 OR
Meeting: Real Data in
a Virtual World!
2009 OR Meeting URL: